Author Topic: Crest or Coat of Arms ?  (Read 10377 times)

Offline udoittwo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crest or Coat of Arms ?
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
1st time here.
I was looking for help to ID a 12" sterling silver handmade plate I bought and I THOUGHT I saw a topic here for "Coat of Arms" but I can't seem to find it now that I have registered. Is this a possible forum for this info?
I paid $220 for it which is a little more than the silver value. I would like to find out, if it is something more interesting than 13 ounces of silver.
I am including a picture as long as I can figure out how to add it.
The pict is poor but I can get betters ones if someone here thinks they might be able to help.
I've been googleing around for a bit and this is what I THINK I have found.
The crest with the double headed eagle was/is used by many countries but with the crown, MAY be Russian? Under its wings I believe are the "Pillars of Hercules"[?] with the words "PLUS" & "ULTRA". The shield has 3 crowns that may be Swedish[?] yet the thistle at the bottom MAY be Scottish?
If I have the wrong forum, could someone possibly steer me the right direction?
Thanks you for your time and any help,
Karl.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crest or Coat of Arms ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshat! ;D

The Pillars of Hercules (including the "Plus" and "Ultra") are found in Spanish Heraldry.
Check the National Coat of Arms of Spain.
The flower also occurs on the Spanish CoA (and flag).

I am confused by the initials "K" and "J"? Must mean something! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I can't make out all the motto, but "deus ultra hoc signum xxxx regum est" means something like "This is a further sign xxxx of the kings".  I can't make out the middle word.

Martin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Check out the arms of Lima ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Lima

The motto is "Hoc signum vere regum est" = This is the sign of the truth of the King.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Ignore my last post!
It's the arms of the Kingdom of Jugoslavia.

See: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/31942-antique-hand-carved-leather-topped-tabl

A further link within that URL points to a silver plate:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kingdom-of-yugoslavia-sterling-silver-925-comm.
Chap on there says:
"in the center is a double-headed eagle surrounded by a rounded beaded border. On the eagles chest is a heraldic shield, a star with rays, three which each point to crown. Below are the initials K J which stand for Kraljevina Jugoslavija or Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Above eagles head is a crown, on each wing is a doric coloum with bandaeu PLUS ULTRA below is a latin scroll with inscription HOC SIGNUM VERE REGUM EST"

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
1st time here.
I was looking for help to ID a 12" sterling silver handmade plate I bought and I THOUGHT I saw a topic here for "Coat of Arms" but I can't seem to find it now that I have registered. Is this a possible forum for this info?

If you click on "Forum" in the dark-brown menu bar above, and scroll down, you will find (Under Special Interests) the forum board "Heraldry Crests and Coats of Arms" ;D

I'll ask a mod to move this to that board.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline udoittwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I think it MAY say "HOCSICUM VE.RE RECUMI ST OR RUCUMIST" ? I tried to look it all up but I believe it is all Latin?
I just won this item on Epay this morning so I don't have it in my hands to get a better look at it.

Sorry if I am may be at the wrong forum but I appreciate your info and help and really wasn't sure where to start looking.

Thanks for your help,
Karl.

Offline udoittwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm really sorry, I didn't see your message about Yugoslavia. It looks like you may have nailed it. My next question is, and I know this is not a collectors forum, but with that info, is it just a hunk of silver to scrap for the weight or should I look further into it?
I'm hording silver right now so to me it is just silver unless it has value beyond that. Should it be saved or melted down? I will NOT scrap something if it should be saved but most stuff is just scrap.

Thanks yet again and HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Karl..