Author Topic: Whatever happened to baby Alfred FIELD of Patching?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to baby Alfred FIELD of Patching?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Birth JAS 1886 East Preston - Henry Claude Cecil Field  mmn Berry
Birth OND 1883 East Preston - Alfred Percy Field mmn Berry
AMJ 1878 E P   - Minnie Eve  mmn Berry
AMJ 1880 E P - Thomas Foster  mmn Berry
JFM 1876 E P - Morris (is this Rignold?)  mmn Berry
OND 1873 E P - George Ernest mmn Berry

looks like they made a habit of being known by their middle names.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, initial post said she was 17 in 1887, so would only have been 13 in 1883......

That was the only reason I discounted the one Millie found  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if the youngest little chap in 1891 Claudie was masquerading as a son instead of a grandson but he has mothers name Berry like the rest. 

Actually, it's Fields same as the rest, which would be correct if Alice was unmarried. Berry is the lodger.

Claudie could be him agewise, but I've looked at the image and all the names are transcribed correctly, evbe Ridgnald (sic) who is Reginald on the previous census. I've found the parents on the 1911, when they had been married for 42 years and had 9 children, of whom seven were still living at that point. A bit of poking about has found Foster (Thomas Foster/ Foster Thomas) inc. WW1 medals, etc. He appears to have died c1960.
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Thanks for all your help. Some information new to me, such as Alfred Haynes's mother's maiden name, is especially helpful, along with the birth registration in 1887. I'll clarify a few points that have arisen.

Alice married in Patching nine years later; at the time of Alfred's baptism her future husband, a Londoner, was 15 years old.

The identity of Alice FIELD. I'm sure this is the 17-year-old daughter of Henry Field for a number of reasons. She is the only Alice Field to be found in Patching around the time of the baptism. (Actually, in the 1881 census she and her parents are in Ferring but the address, North Down, is very close to Patching; in 1891 the family are in Patching.) There were two namesakes living in nearby Angmering at the time, but they would have been aged 13 and 7 years. I have spoken recently with Alice's nephew, her brother Thomas's son (the only one of his generation in that family who's still alive) and he's confirmed that there was some scandal involving his aunt although he doesn't know the details.

I don't think Alice's child can be identified with her brother Claude for the simple reason that Claude has his own baptism entry in the Patching register in 1886; it would require the Patching rector, Edmund Tew, being fooled into baptising the same child twice, and in any case, why the second baptism? If the family wanted to give Alfred to his grandparents and name him Claude the job would have been done and dusted after the first baptism.

BERRY is the maiden name of Alice's mother Elizabeth, and, as has been noted, a lodger, John BERRY, was living in Alice's household according to the 1891 census. And, also in that year's census for Patching, I have found a child, George Burgess BERRY, aged 4 years (which would have been Alfred's age) for whom I have a civil registration births index entry but can find no other record. I wonder ...

Thanks again, everyone.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Nice theory but could that child be
BERRY, GEORGE  FRANCIS BURGES    -     
GRO Reference: 1886  S Quarter in EAST PRESTON  Volume 02B  Page 373
indicating mother's maiden name Berry?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 February 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
For info 1891 census with George Burgess Berry

Eliza Berry 67 head widow
Nelson Berry 27 son single
George Birchfield 89 father widower
George Burgess Berry 4 grandson

All born Patching Sussex
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 March 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, giving George to one of Eliza Berry's unmarried daughters is the most sensible course to take, as Josey suggests. And thanks, Milliepede, for the Berry's 1891 household. But my looking elsewhere for the child's mother indicates how desperate I am to find any other record of Alice Field's son. Any at all.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk