Author Topic: Abertillary hospital Six Bells disaster  (Read 810 times)

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abertillary hospital Six Bells disaster
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I was told my auntie was involved in a pit disaster while matron at the Abertillary hospital. I would have thought that she might have retired when the 1960 disaster took place, as she would have been 67? Is there anywhere that you can check nurses dates please? I have a photo of all the nurses, Matron and doctors, but it will not accept this? Thanks ivor

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Abertillary hospital Six Bells disaster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Is your auntie Grace Elizabeth Body?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes Grace Elizabeth Body. Sue Evans thought the boarded photo was wonderful and it is on display. Have another and guess it is the Royal Victoria Folkestone, but no names or anything? ivor

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Ok, now you want to know if there is a register of trained nurses dating from perhaps 1913?

I did look on the Red Cross site in case Grace E. Body showed up on the VAD list, but sadly not.  [The Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) was a voluntary unit of civilians providing nursing care for military personnel in the United Kingdom and various other countries in the British Empire.]

Also tried the findmypast newspaper archive, but nothing popped up..... perhaps you could try the news papers everywhere Nurse Body had a position.

I hope someone can suggest something new for you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Her and my cousin was a VAD in Tenterden and I have a photo of her group. She nursed a Canadian soldier injured in France and married him in 1919 and went to live in in Canada.