Author Topic: Looks Interesting  (Read 1775 times)

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looks Interesting
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Murder Mystery and My Family starts Monday on   BBC 1 9:15 am    :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Looks Interesting
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The two lawyers who are involved with the programme were interviewed on The One Show the other night.  The premise of the programme is that they look at the evidence available at the time the alleged murderers were convicted and hung, with how the evidence would be dealt with today. 

From my understanding, it could be that some of the alleged murderers were actually innocent, also some of the family members had no idea their ancestor had been hung for murder, whilst others did know.  The lawyers said if at the end of each programme they concluded that the murderer was possibly innocent, then it was up to the families to proceed further if they wanted to, the lawyers wouldn't help them in any way.

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Just watched it on catch up. Was very interesting and sad.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Classic case was Timothy Evans,hanged for the murder of his wife and baby.
Of course it was Reginald Halliday  Christie,but there was no bringing back Evans.

Then the two young men who were running from the police,one was armed and he was still running but was cornered, the other was in handcuffs under arrest.
The police were asking the armed one to give up his weapon,the lad under arrest shouted "Let him have it". His defence was that he too was asking his friend to surrender the gun.However the armed one shot a policeman who died.
The armed one was the younger but the one who had been arrested had learning difficulties.
The one under arrest was hanged and the other served a prison sentence.
It was such a miscarriage of justice.
They were Craig and Bentley.
Many years later the one hanged was -after tireless campaigning by his family-pardoned.
But -he lost his life when he had not held a weapon,and it is entirely possible he was telling his friend to surrender the weapon.He was in handcuffs under arrest
I remember that vividly.
Ruth Ellis was a good time girl,but she loved the man she killed and that was done just after her   miscarrying his baby and seeing him with another woman.
Nowadays most of that would be taken into account.But not then.
Comparison could be made with  another women murderer who lived out their life  in not too much discomfort comparatively speaking, manipulating a member of the peerage to
their own ends.
I don`t condone the death sentence yet we hear from time to time of released murderers who kill again.
I would also say a balanced view is necessary and what the answer is I don`t know except those fortunate not to have had a dear one murdered cannot stand in the shoes of those who have, and those who have cannot find it easy to have a dispassionate opinion.
Viktoria.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Many years ago a woman living near us murdered her husband.  Apparently he had been a wife beater and philanderer and in the end she just snapped.  Unfortunately, she hit him over the head with a hammer whilst he was asleep in bed and the prosecution said it was premeditated.  Her side of the story wasn't put properly in court and she was sentenced to life imprisonment.  Her in laws took her sons and spread lies about how wonderful their son was and how awful his wife was.

Today, she would have been listened to, her own parents might have been able to share the grandchildren and she would probably have been charged with manslaughter whilst of unsound mind or something similar.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
"we hear from time to time of released murderers who kill again"

Yup, happened in my family.  The murderer served 19 years for a murder in 1920 [and was suspected of others], was released and went on to kill the wife of a first cousin twice removed and, in effect, to kill the cousin, too.  She went to the gas chamber for the 1944 murder.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
It was the case in poisonings by women,the prosecution said it was premeditated,so not in the heat of the moment.
But how could a frail woman combat a strong husband?
Poison was the only recourse for some women who would not have stood a chance had the first blow not stunned or killed.
I am not saying that all women killers were poor downtrodden drudges,but many were.
In the days when many men got paid in the pub and they drank a good bit of their wages away whilst their wives and children waited outside to try to get some money for food ,many women would have at least entertained the idea of seeing off their drunken husbands but then of course they would have had even less money.
Such hard lives our ancestresses (is there such s word?)lived.
My parents ,born 1896and 1897,could remember women waiting outside the pub with their children,and also a poor woman who every Saturday evening was subjected to being dangled over the railings of the dwellings she lived in,(those who know Manchester, Victoria Dwellings at the bottom of Oldham Rd
by her beautiful long hair,often when she was pregnant.
The attitude of the Police was not to interfere in domestic quarrels!!!!!!
I’ll bet she thought of ways to murder the sadistic man she was married to.
Ooh, that has got me all upset now.
Thanks for telling us about the programme. Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
The Ruth Ellis case is being reviewed, it has just been advertised on T.V.
Evidence which was not presented at her trial is being examined again.
It should be interesting.
Watched the programme this morning about the man shot on the train.
I though one expert presented a very good case,but the two lawyers  did eventually agree the   person executed had most probably done it.
                                       Viktoria.