Author Topic: Weddings performed on WWII Naval base records  (Read 1074 times)

Offline JennW64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Weddings performed on WWII Naval base records
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am fairly new to RootsChat, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but so far, I haven't been able to find this info anywhere. Maybe a "veteran" RootsWeber can help. :)

My parents were married Nov. 20, 1945 at Treasure Island Naval Base, San Francisco, California. Chaplain Robbins, a Lieutenant in the USNR performed the ceremony at the chapel on Treasure Island. My grandparents flew out for the ceremony from Ohio so they would be witnesses. The best man was Fireman First Class C.D. White who served with my dad. I have a lot of details from the announcement,  but with all that I'm not able to turn up a marriage license, or any record of the ceremony in the State records. 

Would this be a Naval record? If so, where do I search for marriages in Naval records?

Many thanks!
Jenn
Bostock, Bostwick, Bruce, Burlingame, Cochran, Delano, Forbush, Gould, Harris, Hatch, Hine, Hitchcock, Jones, Lane, Lippitt, McNutt, Moore, Nobel, Nutt, Price, Prudden, Rice, Ruggles, Walker, Warren, Watkins and others

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weddings performed on WWII Naval base records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Suggest pose the question through the National Archives in this area of the web site??

https://www.archives.gov/veterans

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JennW64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD. It's worth a shot!

I did various searches for that topic at the Natn'l Archive first, and didn't turn up anything good.

I'll post their reply, in the event anyone else ever needs the info.

Jenn
Bostock, Bostwick, Bruce, Burlingame, Cochran, Delano, Forbush, Gould, Harris, Hatch, Hine, Hitchcock, Jones, Lane, Lippitt, McNutt, Moore, Nobel, Nutt, Price, Prudden, Rice, Ruggles, Walker, Warren, Watkins and others

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn:

Welcome to RootsChat.

I was interested in your topic as I live in California (and I've actually gone to Treasure Island).  I have a friend who was in the military and who also lives in California and I told him of your question.

While my friend is not positive of the following, he believes it to be true:
1.  Weddings that are held on bases "follow the same general rules as other places" -
  obtain a marriage license from the local (county) registrar;
  the officiant (the Navy chaplain in your parent's case) performs the ceremony.
2.  He believes the county would be San Francisco (my husband and I also believe this to be true).  There is a possibility that they could have gone to Alameda County but he doubts that they would have done so.
3.  He suggested if the state does not have the license, to check with the County Registrar.
4.  Now that all of the above has been mentioned, he does not know if other rules were in place during World War II, "especially with sailors and Marines coming back from the war in the Pacific".  He also thought that there is a possibility that the National Archives might have a base log book.
5.  The last suggestion was the possibility of viewing information from your father's military record.  He believes that it could be possible ("but unlikely") that a copy of the license could have been added to your father's record.

While my friend kindly offered the above information, I paraphrased a lot of it since I had not yet received his permission to post his exact wording.  We hope the above is helpful.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Me again.  If you haven't already done so, you could also try contacting the public library in San Francisco, using the Ask a Librarian resource.  Their reply may confirm some of the above suggestions or it may give you additional avenues to try.
https://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000001701

Note:  Due to budget constraints, some libraries now charge nominal fees for various assistance.  You might ask in your email if there will be a fee. Having said that, I've only been charged a nominal fee for a small look-up; I've never been charged anything for asking a general question.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline JennW64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

I received a reply back from the National Archives and it was not any help. They replied back to my query with the standard response for a Service Records request and I ordered those over 10 years ago.

My parents license was not in his service records.

I will definitely check San Francisco and the Library, although I feel like I've already done that, which is why a wanted to check the Military records. But, always good to make sure!

Thanks for the ideas!
Jennifer