Author Topic: Richard Burton Archives lookup  (Read 1092 times)

Offline debraking183

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Burton Archives lookup
« on: Friday 23 February 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Evan Davies was hit by a tram at Lewis Merthyr Colliery Pontypridd on 1st Aug 1922. He died from his injuries on the 6th Aug 1922.     Unfortunately I am told that there was a publisher strike that month and there is nothing in the newspapers.

I have made some enquiries and have been told that there may be a mention of the accident in some records at the Richard Burton archives in Swansea, and I was wondering if anyone could possibly go along and have a look for me? I would be happy to pay. The references are below:

Having consulted the catalogues the records of Lewis Merthyr Lodge exist for the period in question and may contain relevant information:
SWCC/MNA/NUM/L/48/6 – General and Committee Meetings minutes (also minutes of Bertie and Trefor Lodge), October 1920-September 1922
SWCC/MNA/NUM/L/48/31 - ledger containing lodge accounts, 1899-1956
SWCC/MNA/NUM/L/48/43 – Miscellaneous correspondence and papers, 1922-1952
SWCC/MNA/NUM/L/48/61 – Minutes of Committee meetings, Lewis Merthyr Workmen’s Hall and Institute

I am desperate to find out something about this accident? Can anyone help? Thank you all so much in advance.

Debra

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Burton Archives lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
First things First, Welcome to Rootschat.

I have had your request in mind since your original post back in February, with the intention of "Calling In" next time I'm in the area with time to spare.  Having never been there before and that the local schools are on their Half-Term break this week I thought it wise to phone them to check they were open today.  Just as well I did! 
    They're open to all: Okay.  But you need to make an appointment and give notice of what you'll be asking for.
Just as well I phoned. 

It'll be a month till I'm next in the area, with time on my hands.

You haven't been forgotten, well not quite.

Ohh, bye the way, they don't permit photography, and their on site copying is 35 pence for each A4 size sheet.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline debraking183

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply John. I would be eternally grateful if you could do some look ups for me and am more than happy to pay for the copying charges and something for your time/petrol. Do you have a Paypal account? If you let me know when you plan to go a bit nearer the time I can send you money before you go if you tell me how much you want. Or I could send you a cheque - whatever you want to do. Thanks so much :)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Have you checked any HM Inspector of Mines Reports ? There may be a mention in that year's report, since they give details of accidents in those.

Offline debraking183

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
How would I get hold of the HM Inspector of Mines reports Sam?  I’ve tried googling it and searching the National archives Discovery section but can’t find anything relating to the area for the relevant time period.  I have found reference to a chap called Ian Winstanley who used to have a mining reports website but that no longer exists and his index is on Ancestry, which I have already searched to no avail.

Thanks for your help

Debra

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 06:38 BST (UK) »
Try The Miners Library Swansea http://www.swansea.ac.uk/iss/swml/  I know they have Reports, but not sure about that year. They may even be able ot do a look up, if they have that year.