Author Topic: Does 4 Angels Row, All Saints, Worcester still exist?  (Read 10380 times)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
Re: Does 4 Angels Row, All Saints, Worcester still exist?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan, Phil, Mike and Rosie99, for the help you've given me on this post.

I've now had a good look around Worcester, thanks to the links for google maps etc from you all and the information you gave.

I have never been to Worcester so I also really enjoyed your video Mike, I almost feel that I've had a day out there now.  :)

Thanks again all, for your time and interest.

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 April 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim, have now got the reverse side of the 'Wee Emily' photo resized and I'm attaching it  so that you can see the message on the reverse but unfortunately there  no stamp or stamp box on it.

Cheers

Barbara.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I should be going to the county of my birth in about a weeks time for an extended stay with relatives about 10 miles outside Worcester City (where I was born) & when there I like to go to Worcester once a week so I can visit the HIVE & do a bit of research into my family history.
The first time I go to the Hive later this month I shall make a point of walking up what I told you in my last posting is Angel Row just to make certain & finally prove Google maps wrong as I put more faith in the Alan Godfrey maps of 1901.

All the very best

Phil

ps I will let you know of my findings as soon as I can & hope to have a wee bit more info for you when I do

Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 April 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
The Alan Godfrey map is just the Ordnance Survey map which you can see at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/384809/255054/12/100570

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

Thanks for your news.

My own Grandmother's family came from/lived in Pershore so it does seem a coincidence to me  that my husband's Gt Grandad was also living in Worcester when he died in 1890 in Angels Row, All Saints. Was that area a workhouse I wonder or maybe just a lodging house.

Anyway, have a lovely visit/stay in your old hometown Phil and let us know if you find out anything of interest re Angels Row etc.

Cheers

Barbara.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

don't treat this as gospel but if memory serves me correct I think the work house was in the area of Tallow Hill which is quite a long way from Angel Row.  If you want to check on workhouses there is a fantastic site all about them http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.html

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Barbara

I just clicked on the link I gave you & find the address I have is out of date & not recognised so if you just type workhouses into google & choose the one with the name Peter Higinbotham as its compiler you will get to the site Ive recommended & its a mine of information on the subject

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 April 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Here is the workhouse in 1888 https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/385727/255019/12/100380 and 1928 https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/385727/255019/12/101160
and this is the site as it was when Gmaps last photographed it.
https://goo.gl/maps/JvDEpUuKQnA2 and StreetView https://goo.gl/maps/75T2WrtbCqq seems to show some of those later buildings.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 April 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I did walk up the walkway that Im certain is the old Angel Row but have found contradictin info on where it was/still is.

Taken from the book - Historic Worcester Streets

An old alleyway from Angel Place to Blackfriars Street, formerly Smock Allet or Smoke Alley, the name was changed in the 19th century, according to Noake, who in 1877, wrote disparagingly of it having 'of late been dignified' with this name.  The new name was first found in a street directory of 1840.  It still exists off Angel Place in much the same spot, but due to d3evelopment it now runs beside the Crowngate  bus station entrance & servbes only as a back route into the Crowngate Shopping Centre, though its use has increased since the opening of the HIVE to which it is linked by a pedestrian bridge over the Butts.

The above extract from Historic Worcester Streets is not agreed with by myself or the archaeology dept at the HIVE who have the first edition OS street map showing Angel Row as the walkway I said it was in one of my earlier postings & the map shows about 10 cottages in this row in the 1800s so I leave it up to you to believe which version you choose to.  As I said earlier in this posting I did walk up that walkway on 17APR this year on my way to the HIVE & you can clearly see where that row of cottages used to be as I believe thet the fabric of the old buildings still exixts in the ones that are there now so Im sticking to my theory of where Angel Row is as personally I think that its far more believable even though the book I took an extract from says different & even the city council have give the road that run but s into the bus station the name Angel Row & it even has a postcode, so all I can think is that over the years through usage of the name in (what I regard as) the wrong place has meant that it could now be in 2 places but neither has a name plate to show what it should be called - well if they have I couldn't find them.

I was going to get all the residents from as many street directories as I could  but unfortunately in the very limited amount of street directories for Worcester City that are held by the HIVE there is no entry for Angel Row & all I can assume is that the residents were unable to afford to have their names put in street directories.

I hope that this helps you a bit & wish that I could have found a lot more for you

All the very best

Phil
born in Astwood Rd Worcester in 1944 74 years ago to the day
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell