Author Topic: Ada Mary Hill, b. in Reigate 1875  (Read 665 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Ada Mary Hill, b. in Reigate 1875
« on: Friday 23 February 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered the baptism of Ada Mary, dau. of the Rev. John Stanley Hill, on 15 Dec. 1875.  Her birth was registered in the first quarter of 1876, so I'd been looking then or later.  Can some kind soul perhaps find a newspaper announcement of her birth?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Mary Hill, b. in Reigate 1875
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 04:52 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a birth announcement, though there is a marriage notice for Rev John Stanley HILL (1864), and a death notice (1879). I could attach if you don't have them?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
The new GRO index gives the mothers maiden name as STORK

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
These date's don't add up, baptised 1875, birth 1876.

HILL, ADA  MARY      STORK        
GRO Reference: 1876  M Quarter in REIGATE UNION  Volume 02A  Page 167

John Stanley Hill  m  Eleanor Stork.   Mar 1864, Marylebone    1a   692

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your replies.

One of the many things that Ancestry (for example) hasn't grasped is that births were not always registered immediately.  There was supposed to be a time limit, but I've found cases where it was done in not the following quarter but the one after that.  Of course she may have been baptized soon after birth, if she was not expected to live; and her birth may have been registered as soon as the office opened in the new year.

Yes, I knew her mother was Eleanor née Stork, from Kingston on Hull or thereabouts.  Also that she had a brother Stanley, a schoolmaster, whose middle name appears to have been Paris (though that may be a mishearing of Powis, later the middle name of Ada's son).

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 08:09 GMT (UK) »
John and Eleanor Hill also had
Stanley Paris Hill baptized 5 February 1867 Croughton ? Northants. (Eleanor is living with him and his wife in 1911)

John Powys Stanley Hill baptized 7 May 1871 buried 17 June 1871 at Whittington

Eleanor Harriet Hill baptized 2 June 1872 also at Whittington  (1881census she is Harriett)

Ada Mary 15 December 1875 St Mark Reigate Surrey.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, amondg.

I think I knew about Eleanor Harriet, if she was the 'Tattie' who died in Bath many years later.

The son who d. in infancy was news to me.  The middle names Paris and Powys are a puzzle that I'll probably never solve, not that it matters much.

And yes, J.S.H. had previously been vicar of Croughton.