Author Topic: Puzzle - does this name help my long search?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle - does this name help my long search?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm not getting very far!

I can't even find a baptism for Boyes Ellis's father Godfrey Ellis (c. 1815 Dalton acc, to census). Must be yet another nonconformist lost to history!

And, of course, all that comes up when I google Boyes is the bloomin shop!!

Scream!!  ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 February 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just had a quick look and it looks like Boyes Ellis was living with sister in 1881 census & died 1913 Huddersfield but age for death is slightly out.

Had a look for baptisms & marriages but nothing but 2 baptisms at Lockwood might be of interest. Tom Ellis 1862 & Edgar 1868 both son of Godfrey & Mary Ellis but Tom's baptism looks to give mothers maidenname as Hallis.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, John.

I had found Boyes' death and on the census with his sister. It doesn't look as if he ever married.

Strange as it may seem, I think there was another Godfrey Ellis in the vicinity! Possibly, Godfrey was a family name and the two might have been related in some way.

I've followed my Ellis family on the censuses up to 1871 and I'm pretty sure its the right family because they have a grandson with them named Sykes Ellis (Sykes being Mary's maiden name).

This thing they had of using surnames as first names seems to have got a bit out of hand - Mary's sister Emma Sykes married a Mallinson Shaw Makin!! This is why I'm all but sure that the surname Boyes will figure somewhere in the family's past, but I still haven't cracked it!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A Boyes Ellis appears in the Crew  passenger list but don't have the expensive ancestry so cannot look at it. Do you think he might have gone to America and then comeback.
Only other Godfrey I can find was in Halifax area, he also married a Mary in the 1830's.
Had another look at Lockwood and their is a Harriet Hellas. I might have made the wrong assumption & it might have been a misspelling & not the mothers maiden name. Could be worth looking at burials Godfrey was buried there.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Having failed for years to find anything even resembling a baptism or birth for Bathsheba Boothroyd c 1802, I have - for a while now - been trying to find any proof or link up to a baptism for a Betty Boothroyd baptised in Holmfirth 18 April 1802 d/o Joseph (blacksmith) & Mary (nee Mountain).

I was hoping to find a link between the name Boyes and these Boothroyds. No luck there either!

Looks like I'll have to give it up again - at least for a while. Perhaps I'll have better luck when I get my DNA results.

Thanks for the input.
HELP!!!

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
You might find that the name Bathsheba has been written wrongly by the vicar, or deliberately changed, or the child was christened with another name.
The actual parish record of my grtgrandmother's baptism in Holmfirth in the 1860's still infuriates me. Her name was the highly unusual Hosetta but the vicar clearly didn't think it worth getting it right in his records. He just wrote a vague squiggle and added the sniping note the she was the illegitimate daughter of her named mother.
( we feel that the family had the last laugh in the face of this lofty dismissiveness, though. Hosetta went on to make a good, respectable life with a large healthy successful family, as indeed did her mother!)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, bykerlads. A similar thought had crossed my mind - did the vicar struggle with the name Bathsheba and thought 'oh Betty will do!'

If my memory serves me right, Bathsheba was also called Bathias or Betty on other documents (1841 census, she's Bathias; on one of the baptism entries for her 5 daughters, she is named as Betty - the other 4 are all Bathsheba).

This is why I've pursued the Holmfirth baptism, and the distance between Holmfirth and Tunacliffe Hill where the Sykes lived is only about 5 or 6 miles. It would be good to get some kind of confirmation, perhaps through a DNA match though its going to be a difficult one as she had no sons.
HELP!!!

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What happened to Mary's sisters did one of them marry a Boyes.

Bathsheba was down as Berthias in 1841 census but cannot find a Berthia Boothroyd

Could be Betty daughter of Mary baptised 1801 Huddersfield.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What happened to Mary's sisters did one of them marry a Boyes.

Bathsheba was down as Berthias in 1841 census but cannot find a Berthia Boothroyd

Could be Betty daughter of Mary baptised 1801 Huddersfield.

John

Of Mary's sisters: Sarah (1825 died in infancy); Jane (1828) married a Smith (ought to be illegal!!), Sarah Ann (1833 - my line) married Richard France, and Charlotte (1839) married James Holmes - they had lots of children most with sensible names until they got to the 1880s when they called two of their sons Frederick Cavendish Holmes (1882) and Harold Shackleton Holmes (1886).

These surnames/first names are driving me mad! I shall have to delve into the significance (if any) of the Cavendish and Shackleton names. I was assuming Shackleton might have been after the explorer but, having googled him, its too early.

Interestingly, googling Frederick Cavendish brings up Lord Frederick Cavendish who was assassinated 6 May 1882 hours after arriving in Dublin as Chief Secretary for Ireland. 'My' Frederick Cavendish Holmes was born in June Q of 1882.

So, that begs the question why would Charlotte and James name their child for a politician murdered in Dublin? It all gets a bit muddy now - so please bear with me if you've read this far  ::) - but my auntie (now no longer with us)  suggested to me when I was asking her about the history of her and my mother's side of the family that there was an Irish connection. She thought it was my gt grandmother Sarah  (her grandmother) who was Irish but I've proved her wrong by discovering that Sarah was actually born in Huddersfield and her mother before her was born in Almondbury (to the above mentioned Bathsheba).

So now I'm wondering if auntie was right all along - just got her generations a bit mixed up!

Anyone else got a headache?  ;D  Fascinating, though!!
HELP!!!