Author Topic: "Ford" Williams  (Read 3336 times)

Offline G Reese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
"Ford" Williams
« on: Friday 23 February 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I was doing some research on my Welsh family, many of whom moved to Utah in the late 1800s, when I stumbled upon this interesting newspaper article: clipping here.

I knew I had a 3rd great uncle named Thomas Williams, but I had figured he decided to either stay in Wales or died in his 20s, because I couldn't verify where he went in the genealogical record. How could I lose track of someone with such a unique name (I jest)? With the newspaper article describing his famous singing career, under the name Ford Williams, my curiosity was piqued.

I obtained his death record from the GRO with the information provided in the newspaper clipping (link here). It lists his widowed wife's initials (in stunning detail) and address. The date, area, and cause of death match the newspaper article, so I'm fairly confident I got the right guy. It looks like he never gave up his day job, as well, as he's listed as a blacksmith, the last known occupation I had for him in the 1891 census when he was single and living with his parents.

The million dollar question is this: how can I prove that this Thomas Williams was indeed the famous singer Ford Williams (Elysium theater in Swansea, said to be a native of Swansea, article with the quotes around Ford, featured in Swansea Empire, and multiple additional advertisements in England, Northern Ireland, and Scotland)? Also, how can I find out additional details about his family with the scant detail that I do have?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: "Ford" Williams
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)
A search for his sister named in the newspaper -  Mary Ann Williams with married name of Parr (George Parr) brings up her death certificate in Utah in 1936. This says her father and mother were William Williams and Mary Morgan, that her birth place was Swansea, date of birth 24 March 1855.

Does the 1891 census record you describe where Thomas is listed as a blacksmith, show his parents as William and Mary?
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline G Reese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you for the welcome!

I know a good deal about Thomas's parents, William and Mary Morgan Williams (they're my 3rd great grandparents) of Swansea. I have census records for Thomas, his parents William and Mary, and many of his siblings from 1851 - 1911. Thomas is in the 1871 - 1891 returns, after which he left the household. In 1891 he was a 24 year old blacksmith living at the family home on Gibbet Hill in Swansea. Beyond that census, I have no solid idea where Thomas went, until, supposedly, he died in Liverpool in 1932.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi G Reese
The newspaper article is dated 1933 and says news of his death at aged 60, then your death certificate link for December 1932 is also aged 60.
This would give this Thomas a birth year of 1872, so he would be 9 in 1881; and 19 in 1891.
I wouldn't expect to see him listed on the 1871 census?
What do you think
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline G Reese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I have his birth year around 1866. Thomas is in the 1871 census as 5 years old.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am fairly certain they are different men, have another look at the 1911 census as I can see a man matching his name, occupation of music hall artiste, year and place of birth that will match the newspaper article you found. Unfortunately the forum doesn't allow the sharing of information from this census at it breaches copyright.
Hope this helps
Mar
Surname Interests

Offline G Reese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting. Still, nothing is certain until I can determine whether these Thomas Williamses have different parents. The 1911 Census record is a good find, thank you!

Next step will be to see if I can find him in the 1901...

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
A job of elimination underway  ;D to see if one man or two by picking apart parents and siblings.

The newspaper article says survived by a sister Mary Ann Parr (DoB 24 March 1855) of Salt Lake - attached death cert for Dec 31st 1936 - parents William Williams and Mary Morgan. I suspect the Swansea marriage in 1879 to George Parr is her, so that takes her out of her parents household in 1881, but she is living at 24 Gibbet Hill Road with husband and young son. Her death cert says resident in USA for 47 years so looks like the emigrate in about 1889. So no, 1891 UK census.

The article talks about his brother William J Williams dying in Salt Lake 8 August 1931. There is a Utah death certificate that matches the information in the newspaper article that gives his DoB as 18th July 1853, Swansea - parents William J Williams and Mary Morgan.

If I was going to match the above to the 1861 census, I would go for RG09 4105 39 26
Private House, 11, Bargemans Row, Swansea
William Williams Head Married Male 29 born 1832 Labourer Swansea
Mary Williams Wife Married Female 28 1833 Swansea
William J Williams Son Male 8 1853 Scholar Swansea
Mary Ann Williams Daughter Female 6 1855 Scholar Swansea
Ellen Williams Daughter Female 4 1857 Scholar Swansea
Evan Williams Son Male 2 1859 Swansea
Jane Williams Daughter Female 0 (image says 6 months) 1861 Swansea

Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
This family are at 5 Bargeman's Row Swansea in 1871 with lots more children
William Williams Head Male 39 1832 Glamorgan, Wales
Mary Williams Wife Female 37 1834 Glamorgan, Wales
William J Williams Son Male 17 1854 Glamorgan, Wales
Mary A Williams Daughter Female 16 1855 Glamorgan, Wales
Ellen Williams Daughter Female 14 1857 Glamorgan, Wales
Evan Williams Son Male 12 1859 Glamorgan, Wales
Jane Williams Daughter Female 10 1861 Glamorgan, Wales
Elizabeth Williams Daughter Female 7 1864 Glamorgan, Wales
Thomas Williams Son Male 5 1866 Glamorgan, Wales
John Williams Son Male 2 1869 Glamorgan, Wales
Lucy Williams Daughter Female 1 1870 Glamorgan, Wales

The obvious here is Thomas, aged 5/6 years younger than we expect him to be from newspaper article?

My 1881 pick would be the family at 25, Graig Terrace, Swansea (Town), Swansea

so, I'm not so certain now, maybe this is your man  :)
Surname Interests