Author Topic: Ethel Margaret Roberts  (Read 2179 times)

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ethel Margaret Roberts
« on: Friday 23 February 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm searching for the Lady/relations of  Ethel Margaret Roberts who in 1945 was living in the Farnham Farncobe are of Surrey ,she was employed  as a Clerical Officer for the GPO any help gratefully recieved 😊

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Margaret Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Was Roberts her married name or her maiden name?

When and where was she born?

Rootschat has a “no living persons” policy so we cannot give out info on anybody who may still be alive (eg) her children

If Roberts was her maiden name there are 2 Ethel M Roberts marriages in Surrey - 1947 and 1948
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

1945 electoral registers have someone of that name living at Prospect Place, Badshot Lea.  Badshot Lea is between Aldershot & Farnham.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,sadly it is highly unlikely that the Ethel Margaret Roberts I am searching for would still be alive,the last address I have for her is also Prospect Cottages ,i have been searching for many years for this lady as she is the biological Mother of my Mother, sadly Mum passed away last July at the age of 72 yrs having previously been searching for many years for her family history/ roots 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
1945 electoral registers have someone of that name living at Prospect Place, Badshot Lea.  Badshot Lea is between Aldershot & Farnham.

It looks as though she was born Ethel M Nash in Hambledon district on 13 May 1919 to parents Harry Nash and Fanny Louise nee Lamport or Wild-Lamport (married 1907), who were at 3 Prospect Place, Badshot Lea in 1932-1939 and still there after the war in the 1945 electoral register.  Harry spent his career as a police constable.

Ethel M Nash married John W Roberts, Farnham district, Mar qtr 1944.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there a positive link between the daughter’s birth certificate and the Prospect Place address, and does it show the mother’s name as Ethel Margaret Roberts formerly Nash?

I can’t easily see a Roberts/Nash birth registration in the Farnham area c1945 ???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
If your mum was 72 when she died, her birth year was either 1944 or 1945 depending on her birth month.

The Nash/Roberts marriage was the first qtr 1944 but I can’t find a Nash/Nash birth in Surrey prior to or shortly after

Was your mother adopted and did she ever apply for a copy of her adoption records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
😮 WOW ...All the information ,where was it as we (me and Mum have been looking since my Grandfather passed in 1999 ,yes Mum was adopted ,she was born in Guildford but her Adoption was arranged through Farnham Juvenile Court,Mum was born given the surname Roberts in May 1945,we applied for both her Adoption file and Court Adoption papers but alas both (Social services and the Court ) did thorough searches and nothing was found ,i contacted the Court custodians who were supposed to have them archived they did another search after confirming both the previous had done them and again nothing found which they also found alarming ,we then posted messages on and also searched on various sights and contacted numerous Historical organisations /groups in that area and nothing ...but then this ,thank you so much 😊 ,do you know where Harry and Ethel lived after marriage ?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
What document gives the information that her mother was Ethel Margaret Roberts,  Is the Badshot Lea address mentioned  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk