Author Topic: Ethel Margaret Roberts  (Read 2193 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Margaret Roberts
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 February 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree about the marriage certificate - any detail it gives about John (including his middle name) should help in tracing what happened to him and to the marriage.

It is possible that if something untoward had happened Ethel might have presented as a single woman on the registration of the birth, but it is unusual and definitely requires further investigation.

Was Ethel the informant of the birth (column 7)?  Is the address in column 7 the same as that in column 1 for “where born” - and was that 5 Green Lane, Farncombe?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Good morning , yes Ethel was the informant and also same addresses in both columns

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry morning eyes 🙈 Mums place of birth was 10 Warren road Guildford ,this was an old Asylum which during the War was  being used as a Military Hospital ,it had a 10 bed Maternity wing attached this is where Mum was born,
 makes me question if Ethel was something to do with the military ?, this place is now a Museum called The Old Spike (to me years to research this 😕

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
No, I don’t think the fact that military casualties were treated at the hospital would imply that the small number of maternity patients had any connection with the military.  They are likely just to be local women, often in difficult circumstances (the preference at the time would have been to give birth at home, if safe and possible, rather than in a former workhouse hospital).

I see from the historical account below that, when it became Warren Road Hospital some years earlier, the few maternity beds in this hospital were “mainly for unmarried mothers”:

www.hospitalproject.co.uk/category/workhouse-2/
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline DianeElijah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 February 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I've just read this but can't find where it says it was mainly for unmarried Mothers 😕 , I'm totally at a loss as you can imagine

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 25 February 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
10 Warren Road is part of what is now St Lukes hospital.  A relation of mine was born there around the same time and neither parent was in the military (they were married)
http://www.hospitalproject.co.uk/a-short-history-of-st-lukes-hospital-from-workhouse-to-hospital/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk