Author Topic: Peter SAWERS esq of Netherkirkton House - Looking for his Ancestors  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter SAWERS esq of Netherkirkton House - Looking for his Ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Forfarian.  :) I took the "lack of heirs" in the heading of the article to mean that Peter had no heirs.  ::)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Forfarian.  :) I took the "lack of heirs" in the heading of the article to mean that Peter had no heirs.  ::)
He obviously had no legitimate children, but he had heirs in the shape of his brothers' families. Even if he had not left a will, his property would have gone to them. I think the article is a bit sloppy!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »

The Caledonian Mercury, 6 April 1725
ADVERTISMENTS
"Upon the 21st Day of April instant, at two a clock in the Afternoon, in the House of Elizabeth Sawers Vintner at St. Ninians; to be sette by Roup for the following Season, ....".

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PsM4AQAAIAAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=reverend+peter+sawers&source=bl&ots=EN7Zf3yfC2&sig=kg9HuS_riwD4C3e5dmwFEm8KOYM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil_LDhz77ZAhUE1WMKHQkcAg0Q6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=reverend%20peter%20sawers&f=false

Peter Russell Sawers Minister of the Free Church seems to have been an interesting individual. I didn't spot anything which points to his ancestry. Just Google Minister Peter Sawers/Sawyers and there are many references to him. 

Henry Miller held the lands Kirkton at Neilston which included Kirkton Mill, Kirkton Farm and Kirkhill in 1790 and I will assume Peter acquired the farm from him or his estate.  The earliest I see Peter mentioned there pertains to a plowing match held there in 1837 and the latest in 1859.  It seems to have been an annual event.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline aspicer84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 February 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou SO much for all the research you  have helped a lot!  I never thought that Peter Sawers had ANY natural children until I read the attached which is his Will and Testament.  Its a little hard to read but it states he has two sons and a daughter.
Robert Gordon SAWERS
John Stevenson SAWERS
Isabella McFarlane SAWERS

I can't seem to find any recorded births for any of them, however -

1841 Census - Robert Gordon Sawers was 9yo living with his Aunt & Uncle  "Newhouse" Torphichen
1851 Census - Robert was a visitor at a home in Edinburgh - apprentice silk mercer?
1855 Immigrated to Australia Departed from Liverpool Arrived Melbourne
1860 - Married Harriet HAWORTH
1863 - Harriet gave birth to my great - grandfather Henry James SAWERS

The attached I found from Trove dated October 1861 in the Argus newspaper Melbourne.  So I knew there was a definite connection. I have to assume that they were all illegitimate children from perhaps random women as Peter Sawers didnt marry.  Maybe Robert wasn't familiar with his father Peter at all and therefore never made an attempt towards the will?

Sawers, Spicer, Pointon, Walters, Dillistone

Offline aspicer84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Here is an extract of Peter Sawers will where he mentions his natural children.  Thoughts?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 February 18 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Here are the probable nieces and a token nephew.

Margaret Hay Sawers daughter of James and Janet Marshall d 10 Sep 1892 at Newhouse, Torpichen she was 92, single and a Farmer.  Sister Agnes died (same place) 1893. A brother Henry died there 1863.

There is a Margaret Sawers in Shotts who died in 18 DEC 1858 daughter of John (farmer & landed proprietor) and Janet Russell. Also single.  Janet might be an informant error and if her name was actually Mary then there could more births in Cumbernauld.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 March 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
In reply to the article on the first post, regarding the first mentioned Robert Sawers, Black Loch Lanarkshire. I lived next to the Black Loch which is on the border of counties, Stirlingshire and Lanarkshire next to the village of Limerigg, the 1881 census shows members of the Sawers family in this area and lists where born.
 http://tompaterson.co.uk/censussearch.php
http://tompaterson.co.uk/census.php?Dwelling=795&Census=Slamannan

James

Offline aspicer84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
I was wondering where I would find out the information about Henry Miller or Millar who is said to have held the lands of kirkton in 1790.  I'm hoping it might give me some clues as to Peter Sawers esq's parents and grandparents if he indeed inherited Nether Kirkton from family.