Author Topic: A question about records on SP  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A question about records on SP
« on: Friday 23 February 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I just searched a death record on Scotlands People.  On the results page, under the heading, RD Name, one record says Minor Records where the rest give locations. Any ideas why a record is listed like this?  I ask because the details listed are identical to the record I searched for and wondered if or why it would be listed twice.

Thanks
Bodach
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A question about records on SP
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Gadget.

Unfortunately the person I'm searching for doesn't fall into any of the categories listed on that index. He was ex services so I thought you were onto something but he passed away in Scotland in 2001 and those lists are mainly for pre 1970 and Military Returns.

Of course it could have nothing to do with the person I'm looking for but its strange they are side by side and all the details listed , few as they are, are the same except the ref MIN/30 and the RD Name.

Bod
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting Scotlands people to see if they answer your question  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
If you go to SP and do a regular search on BMDs and select Minor Records, a list of the variations comes up:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I just searched a death record on Scotlands People.  On the results page, under the heading, RD Name, one record says Minor Records where the rest give locations. Any ideas why a record is listed like this?  I ask because the details listed are identical to the record I searched for and wondered if or why it would be listed twice.
Minor Records are records of events (births, marriages, deaths) involving Scottish people but not taking place in Scotland, so not falling into one of the usual registration districts. They come from a variety of sources.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.