Author Topic: Looking for a needle in a haystack  (Read 849 times)

Offline Ghostsinthewind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a needle in a haystack
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone, My name is Nancy and I am twenty-seven. I'm looking for information on my dad's family.
I grew up in Alberta, my mom is from here but my dad is from Ontario. He's a great dad, but before he met my mom he didn't have much of a life. I've never met any of his siblings but have had contact with them via Facebook. I would, however, be interested in knowing more about his mother and father. They are deceased, his mother's name was Elizabeth Ann Henderson before she married his father Ray Allen. She then married a man by the name of Livingston and when she passed in 1975 she was buried under the name Elizabeth Henderson Livingston. Elizabeth was adopted, and from what we know the adoption wasn't legal. We have never been able to find any records, we're plagued further because we are unsure as to the year his dad died. My dad estimated it to be around 10 years ago, but we can not be sure. My dad isn't well anymore, and his past is sad and violent and I do not wish to upset him by asking a thousand questions. I'm curious as to mine and my sister's heritage. His family makes up half of us, his mom would be my grandma if she were still alive today. His dad would have been my grandpa. I've only ever my mom's side of the family, and that's the family my dad has had as well since my parent's met and married almost thirty years ago.
I want to know more about Elizabeth and Ray.  I want to know where I came from, we are unsure as to how Elizabeth died. My dad is only able to remember her drinking, and once again he did not have a good life growing up.  There are so many different angles from his siblings, everyone remembers the tragic upbringing in their own traumatizing ways. My dad has instilled in me to forgive and to never talk ill of the dead. He forgave his mom long ago and still loves her. I just want to know more about the woman who was my grandmother.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a needle in a haystack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Ghostsinthewind.

Is this a different family, as some of the names and dates are the same/similar, and some are very different?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lmu/

Offline Ghostsinthewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that was written by my dad's sister.
We are unaware of how accurate it is, no offense to her.

Offline Ghostsinthewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
The family history is very complicated and confusing and once again all the siblings recall different things.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks tricky as you haven’t got much to go on in terms of hard facts.

Elizabeth’s adoptive parents, according to the linked document, were Harold R Henderson and his wife Pauline.

They can be found at 84 Vansittart Avenue, Oxford, Ontario in the 1949 voters’ list; Harold was a wholesale jobber and Pauline a housewife.  They had a housekeeper, Dorothy Armstrong.

The 1953 voters’ list, at the same address, shows Harold’s full name as Harold Russell Henderson.

The Hendersons were still at 84 Vansittart Avenue in 1963 - Harold’s occupation “wholesale electric”.

Both still there in 1965 - Harold by now retired.

By 1972 Pauline occupied the address alone, perhaps having been widowed.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Harold had died - in Mexico!

Harold R Henderson of 84 Vansittart Avenue, Canada died aged 73 in Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.

Buried at Woodstock, Ontario, Canada.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ghostsinthewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
yes, and it is believed that he had an affair with his secretary at the electric company. Elizabeth was then born and adopted by the Hendersons.

Offline Ghostsinthewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 01:51 GMT (UK) »
It is also rumored that Elizabeth sought out her birth mother, found her and confronted her only to be rejected. I should mention that the Mr. Henderson was good to my dad and the other kids. He always brought them food. He wasn't a bad person. Everything I know is from my sister's never-ending research. My dad's eldest brother has started up a search for Ray Harry Allen. A younger son that no one has seen or heard from in at least a decade.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 18 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you got any dates for Elizabeth’s marriages to Mr Allen and Mr Livingston (and a first name for the latter)?

Where in Ontario did Elizabeth live during her adult life?