Author Topic: Eva Hardaker b. 1857 Yeadon  (Read 2728 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Eva Hardaker b. 1857 Yeadon
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble sorting out Eva's family and am hoping someone may be able to assist.

Eva HARDAKER was born 1857 Yeadon and I know she married William Thompson WORMALD in 1877 Wharfedale but only have the index results so can't double check the parents names.

I have a birth cert. that lists her parents as John HARDAKER and Mary Ann HARDAKER formally UMPLEBY.

In 1861 Eva is living with her Grandparents Joseph and Martha BOOTH and their daughter Eliza. I have no idea where the BOOTH name has come from.

In 1871 Eva is still living with her now widowed grandfather Joseph BOOTH, his daughter Eliza BOOTH and his grandson Enos UMPLEBY.

I thought I'd track Eva's mother Mary Ann in the previous census' and found her living with her parent Joseph and Martha UMPLEBY in '41 and '51.

By this stage I'm getting very confused with UMPLEBY/BOOTH so I thought I would try and find out more about Eva's cousin Enos UMPLEBY that was in the '71 census with her.

In 1861 Enos UMPLEBY is living in Leeds with Robinson and Jane CHILD and is listed as a relative. In 1881 he is going by the name Enos Booth UMPLEBY and is married with 4 children. By 1901 he is going by Enos BOOTH. Finally in 1911 he is back to Enos UMPLEBY but his son Fred has the surname BOOTH.

I would love it if anyone can shed any idea on what is going on with the surnames. Also if anyone can trace the marriage certs. for either Eva and William or John and Mary Ann so I can double check parents names that would be great. I can't seem to find them, only the index.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Hardaker b. 1857 Yeadon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Enos Umpleby (20) married at Yeadon on 24 Feb 1872, naming his father as John Cockshott, a weaver  ???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Birth registered as Enos Umpelby, Sep qtr 1851 Otley - no separate mother’s maiden name listed, suggesting it was a birth out of wedlock.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:23 GMT (UK) »
So:

1851: Joseph & Martha Umpleby are in Yeadon with Elizabeth 23, Mary Ann 21, Edwin 18, Jane 15, Eliza 12

1851 (Sep qtr): Enos is born, presumably to one of their unmarried daughters

1853: Mary Ann Umpleby marries John Hardaker

1856: Jane Umpleby marries Robinson Child

1857: Eva Hardaker is born to John & Mary Ann

1861 (census): Joseph & Martha, now calling themselves Booth, have granddaughter Eva with them. 

1861 (census): Enos is with his aunt, Jane Child.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:31 GMT (UK) »
HARDAKER, EVA        ...      
GRO Reference: 1857  M Quarter in OTLEY  Volume 09A  Page 134

There are 2 deaths for John and Mary Ann in Otley 1860 and 1861, the Mary Ann one seems ok but John appears to old.

HARDAKER, MARY  ANN      29      
GRO Reference: 1860  M Quarter in OTLEY  Volume 09A  Page 106

HARDAKER, JOHN        87      
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in OTLEY  Volume 09A  Page 105

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily too old, if she had married the John Hardaker who was the Umplebys’ next door neighbour in 1841 - then aged “70”.  Obviously this would be a curious match!

I notice that in 1851 the Umpleby family lived next door to a Cockshott family (widow Betty and daughters), which is interesting in light of Enos’ claim on his marriage that his father was a John Cockshott.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Now found a marriage for Elizabeth Umpleby to (possibly) John Cockshott, Sep qtr 1851 Otley, which suggests they may be the parents of Enos.

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help so far, its starting to clear up a few things. I have just found a possible marriage for Eva's grandparents. Joseph UMPLEBY and Martha BINNS m. 9 May 1827 Guiseley. What's interesting is that on the same page married later the same month are Eva's husband William WORMALD's grandparents William and Mary.

If only we could find these elusive parish marriage records to find some parents names. Booth is still an enigma too.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that you will have to buy the 1877 marriage certificate for Eva Hardaker and Thomas Wormald as the location was "Wharfe District Registered Building" = Register Office.

Information you need to order the certificate = Eva Hardaker - Wharfedale (Registration District) 9a (volume number) and 229 (page number) and March quarter 1877

Added:

And I'm afraid that the same goes for John Hardacre and Mary Ann Umpleby's marriage - 1853 - at Otley District Registered Building.

John Hardaker - Otley Registration District, volume 9a, page 186 and March quarter 1853

Only purchase these from GRO (cheapest option) at £9.25 per copy.

Information related to marriage locations = YorkshireBMD.  GRO references from FreeBMD.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY