Author Topic: Eva Hardaker b. 1857 Yeadon  (Read 2729 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Hardaker b. 1857 Yeadon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks, that was my next step. I have only just received an order from them which gave me Eva's birth certificate otherwise I would have ordered more on her parents etc at the time.

Its a never ending money pit if I'm not careful so I just get a few important ones at a time. I just thought it was worth trying to find them in others ways if possible first.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline grantl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda; I believe we are first cousins once removed. I've done a bit of research on Eva Hardaker's extended family – including the conundrum of Enos Umpleby/Booth (he seems to have used both surnames at different times).

I haven't got much further than anyone else, but my current hypothesis is that Eva and Enos were foster children. Neither of them seems to have been closely related to their nominal "grandparents" Joseph & Martha Booth (more on that point below). I believe that in that era, widowers like John Hardaker were often forced, by practical considerations, if not by law, community attitudes etc to foster out their children. The Booths, with an unmarried daughter (Eliza) in the workforce and providing a second income, seem to fit the profile of a foster family. They would not have been wealthy, given that they were involved in weaving, but may have been comfortable.

I have Eva's birth certificate, which confirms the names of her parents, but that's about it. Enos's birth cert – which I haven't got should shed some light – we can count on the name of his mother being correct at least.

It seems quite possible that Eva and Enos were either biological cousins or half-siblings, but they may not have been related at all. 

Part of the problem with this situation is the almost unbelievable prevalence of Booth as a surname in West Yorkshire at the time.
* Enos married an Elizabeth Richardson, whose half-brother was a David Booth. David also does not seem to have been related to Joseph & Martha Booth. But ... David did marry Mary Hustler, a first cousin of Eva Hardaker! (Mary Hustler being a daughter of Margaret Hustler, née Hardaker.)
* William Hardaker, an uncle of Eva (and brother of John Hardaker and Margaret Hustler), also married a Booth who doesn't seem to be closely related to Joseph & Martha,  i.e. Mary Ann Booth, born circa 1821 (daughter of a John Booth, born c. 1796; mother's name unknown).
* These three different Booth family lines do not seem to intersect at all within the few generations preceding.
* I could be completely wrong about any of the above points; there are now so many people called  "John", "Mary Ann" etc in that part of tree that it makes my head spin  ::)

Lee: prob. Buckinghamshire
Chapman: London
Bowen: London (+ prob. Pembrokeshire)
Owen: West Yorkshire
Bradbury: Oxfordshire/Berkshire
Ayton: London (+ reputedly Scotland)
White: Hertfordshire
Wormald: West Yorkshire
Holland: prob. Kilkenny/Laois
Morris: Somerset/Wiltshire
Small: Somerset/Wiltshire
Wood: West Yorkshire
Blackmore: London
Bundock: Essex/Cambridgeshire
Coxall/Coxell/Coxwell: Hertfordshire/Essex
Hardaker/Hardacre: West Yorkshire
Glynn: Galway/Roscommon

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grantl, I have wondered myself if the Booth's may have just been nominal grandparents. It would be very coincidental though as in the later census' the Booth's have the same first names, ages, places of birth and general occupation as Eva's Mums parents and sister Eliza in the earlier census'. I guess having the same birth place and occupation would be very common at that time in the area though. Its so hard to know what is going on when looking this far back.

I hadn't got as far as looking into John Hardaker's family yet so your information about them and the many Booth's is interesting.

I am going to send you a PM as well.

Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline grantl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Linda. It seems I have to post here three times before I can reply to your PM. But, yes, I got it and I am the person you suggested.

I'm still digesting the interesting information and suggestions above from you, avm228, SolidRock and BumbleB.

avm's finding of an 1851 marriage involving a John Cockshott and Elizabeth Umpleby is especially interesting. If that _was_ Joseph and Martha's daughter, an acrimonious split between her and John C might explain why Enos didn't use the name Cockshott. It might also contribute to a name change by his mother and grandparents. But it still doesn't answer all the questions, e.g. if the Umplebys became the Booths for official purposes, why didn't they also change Enos's name?

By the way, I'm fairly confident that our Mary Ann Hardaker nee Umpleby died in 1860. Also that the widowed John Hardaker moved back in with his parents (William & Mary) in Yeadon. That is, there are individuals fitting the bill in the 1861 Census, although the census collector's terrible handwriting has made it look as though their surname is "Hardalla". One clue is the presence of John's niece and nephew, Mary Hustler and William Hustler. If we skip to 1881, John (aged 62) appears to be living with his widowed mother, Mary Hardaker, aged 83, his now-married niece, Mary Booth (nee Hustler), and her husband David Booth (who, as I mentioned earlier, was Enos Umpleby's brother in law, but not related to our other Booths). In the January–March quarter of 1891, we have the death of a John Hardaker age 72, in the Bradford registration district (vol. 9b, p. 174). (And our John does not seem to appear in the Census that year.)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 March 18 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to think about what may have made them change their name and have searched UK newspapers but haven't found anything. The thing that bugs me is that if they did change their names because of something bad happening I don't really see the point as they have stayed living in the same area. Surely everyone knew what their real name was. Unless it was just for the census' that they did it.

Offline grantl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I think that the Elizabeth Umpleby married in 1851 to a John Cockshott, in Otley reg dist  is not our Eliza Umpleby i.e. the sister of Mary Ann Hardaker and Jane Child. That is:
* There seem to have been at least two couples named Joseph & Martha Umpleby, with daughters called Elizabeth, born in West Yorkshire in the mid/late 1820s  :o one baptised in Guiseley and one in Wakefield.
* Eliza Cockshott, born c. 1825 at Methley (on the outskirts of Wakefield) is living with her husband John Cockshott (born c. 1826 Yeadon) at the time of the 1861 Census (i.e. when Enos is with Eliza Booth and her parents). This Eliza appears to have died some time between 1864 (when her youngest son was born) and the 1871 census, when John is a widower.

Offline cir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is of any interest....A major study of Hardaker in W Yorkshire

http://hardakerfamily.id.au/

It would appear that Hardaker s had a strong presence in West Yorkshire, namely Rawdon, Guiseley, Yeadon etc.
Ramsden (Stanley nr Wakefield) and Roo (Horsforth) in West Yorkshire, UK

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I think that the Elizabeth Umpleby married in 1851 to a John Cockshott, in Otley reg dist  is not our Eliza Umpleby i.e. the sister of Mary Ann Hardaker and Jane Child. That is:
* There seem to have been at least two couples named Joseph & Martha Umpleby, with daughters called Elizabeth, born in West Yorkshire in the mid/late 1820s  :o one baptised in Guiseley and one in Wakefield.
* Eliza Cockshott, born c. 1825 at Methley (on the outskirts of Wakefield) is living with her husband John Cockshott (born c. 1826 Yeadon) at the time of the 1861 Census (i.e. when Enos is with Eliza Booth and her parents). This Eliza appears to have died some time between 1864 (when her youngest son was born) and the 1871 census, when John is a widower.

Not sure I agree with your conclusion - though obviously there is work to be done to establish a positive link.  The mother’s maiden name for this couple’s daughter Phillis Ann Cockshott (Dec qtr 1856 Otley) is shown on GRO online as Wright, so if Eliza is her mother she seems to be nee Wright rather than the “other” Elizabeth Umpleby.

There is a death in Otley district for an Elizabeth Cockshott in Jun qtr 1854 (FreeBMD) - can’t find it on GRO for her age unfortunately - but if this is John’s wife he may have subsequently formed a new relationship with an Eliza Wright leading to the family unit seen in 1861.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
GRO have Elizabeth as Cockshell - aged 26.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY