Author Topic: Alexander Will Abt 1850 - hit a brick wall trying to find my GGGrandfather  (Read 2133 times)

Offline AlasdairGTW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Will Abt 1850 - hit a brick wall trying to find my GGGrandfather
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a typical rubbish Ancestry transcription because
your extract above doesn't list whose stepdaughter Frances was, and it inserts a name variant (Fanny) that doesn't appear in the original.

1851c
Alexander Sangster 41 Farmer New Deer
Mary 32 Tyrie
Andrew 2 New Deer
FANNY SCOTT step dau 12 ? Jamaica
Mary DUNCAN 17 Tyrie general servant

The info. I typed was from the original census from public tree

Nov 2012
Ellon Library Census records
New Deer , Scottish census 1851

Had a look again and have typed the full info. from the census - perhaps if you or alasdair are able to do so you could take a look and double check the info. I've copied

parish of New Deer District of ?ford (can't make it out)
48 Alexander Sangster Head M 41 Farmer of 24 Acres Aberdeenshire New Deer
    Mary ditto wife 32 Farmers wife ditto Tyrie
    Andrew son 2 ditto son ditto New Deer
    Fanny Scott stepdau 12 farmers step-dau emp. at home N?I? Jamiaca
    Mary Duncan servant 17 general servant Aberdeenshire Tyrie

I think I'm still just as puzzled, I can't figure out the Scotts, Sangsters and Duncan's are to Ann Innes.

I understand Alexander Scott married a Mary Innes but from previous posts it would appear she would be too young to be the sister of Ann Innes i.e, born 1817 instead of the Mary Innes Born to Robert Innes and Isabel Duncan who was born in 1808.

I popped to the archives today and had a quick scan through the Kirk session minutes, sadly there was none for any meetings pre 1853....... damned if I know what to do now, I read online that the church in New Pitsligo was built in top of the old one in 1853, do you think it likely that any attendees would have travelled or moved to a successionist church while this was being rebuilt?, travel out with to attend Resulting in records being kept at an adjoining parish?.

I had a quick look in the KSM for Deer, although very interesting I couldn't find anything, plenty of information regarding a long on going charge against a Dr Lockhart who couldn't keep his paws of his servants whenever his wife was away or whenever the whisky was in!, these case records seemed to dominate the minutes throughout.

New Pitsligo KSM did however have an entry for a couple of illigitamate children between Duncan's and Emsley's, 1st was on 3rd Sept 1854 a twice ignored summons to appear by a James Duncan who later refused to acknowledge the charge raised by Isabel Emsley.

2nd being the acknowledgement of an illigitamate child by a William Emsley to a charge raised by Mary Duncan.

On 9th Aug 1867 another similar charge involving a Jane Will and a William Barry from 16 years earlier (1851)

On 3rd May 1863 again similar charge involving an Isabella Will and a William Smith from 8 years previous to charge (1855), apparently William Smith having left the county before birth never to be heard of again.

I may have a look for these later 'Will' girls in the hope this might throw up some clues but I'm struggling understanding how to find the connections or maybe I'm just too short sighted or experienced to see the relevance.