Author Topic: Help finding 2nd great grandfather please  (Read 2282 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding 2nd great grandfather please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
If that is the right entry for Robert and Amelia with his parents, wonder where you g granmother was? Only an 8yr old Robert Wallace is showing on the listing (need to be confirmed with the original image of course. The index seems to show 6 rather than 8 I think).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a Robert Wallace aged 78 (mother's maiden name BRAND) in 1983 in Glasgow. Looks likely the 1911 info from Ev is the right family details (except you have young Mary not seemingly showing so far on there...).

Monica

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
This is really confusing me  :o

So the 1911 census i have just brought, thanks to Eve for finding it :-)

It has my 3rd great grandfather and his wife Sarah at 42 and again it is him as it says baker and it has Sarah as Sarah Jane Clark Wallace and Clark was her maiden name.

Further up it has,

What looks to be my 2nd great granfather also Robert Wallace.. It has Amelia Henderson (something) And my 2nd great grandfathers wife was Amelia Henderson Brand,, so that all matches, also the number of year there married, that matches what I have too.

It is confusing me as it has a son age 6 named Robert , but my great grandmother Mary Scot Wallace who was born in 1905 to Robert and Amelia is not on there ?? The other name on there says Sarah Jane age 18 which would make sense as Robert had a sister Sarah Jane Wallace who was born in 1883 which would make her 18 in 1911.

So could Robert be a very bad mis-spelling ? where's my great grandmother :-(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Did you miss my post above....

There is a death for a Robert Wallace aged 78 (mother's maiden name BRAND) in 1983 in Glasgow. Looks likely the 1911 info from Ev is the right family details (except you have young Mary not seemingly showing so far on there...).

There certainly does look to have been a son called Robert given those details from SP.  It is too recent a death to view the image online. Maybe his birth would help,

Monica

ADDED: Only two births for a Robert Wallace in Camlachie mid 1900s, one in 1903 and more likely one in 1904. Assumes the Wallaces were living in Camlachie throughout this period.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
When Robert Wallace married Sarah Jane Clarke 17/6/1874 Glasgow her parents are given as Adam Joseph Clarke, Druggist and Mary Clarke, nee Wilson.

Adam Joseph Clarke married Mary Ann Wilson in the June quarter 1844 Sculcoates Regn. District, Yorkshire.

The 1851 census for Kingston upon Hull shows Adam H (as transcribed on Ancestry but should be J) Clarke, Chemist and Druggist, bc.1824 Boston, Lincolnshire - wife Mary Ann born Hull.

Adam Joseph Clarke b.25/2/1824, bp.4/4/1824 Methodist Chapel, Red Lion Street, Boston, Lincolnshire, son of Joseph and Eliza.

1841 Census, New Sleaford, Lincolnshire has Joseph Clarke 45 Druggist, Eliza Clarke 40, Adam 15 (ages round down in 1841), Mary 15, Fanny 14 and Richard 12 - all born Lincolnshire.

Sarah Jane Clarkes' birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1852 Sculcoates mmn Wilson.

The Clarke family are in Scotland by 1861.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
So I have just double checked my great grandmother again, yes defiantly born Mary Scot Wallace and she was born 17 AUG 1905 • Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death 15 FEB 1973 • Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Her only child my grandmother is still alive today, but she never mentioned a uncle ever.. She's not well lately and I don't want to press her, as I live in the east midlands and she still lives in Scotland.

I had a choice of two Robert Wallaces being born in the ame area in 1904, lucky I seem to of choose the right one.. sure enough it has father as Robert wallace and mother as Amelia henderson brand!

So strange all this is... 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census shows for a couple how long married and how many children they had had (alive and deceased) What does it say on Robert and Amelia's entry?

Monica

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census shows for a couple how long married and how many children they had had (alive and deceased) What does it say on Robert and Amelia's entry?

Monica

I have just checked.. more confusing now, it says years married 7 which matches the wedding record I have..

But... Children it says 3 born alive and 3 still living ..... who's the 3rd :-/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Birth of a David Brand Wallace in Camlachie in 1907. From here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778744.0 Amelia's parents were David Brand and Mary Scott. Good fit with Scottish naming pattern.... ::)

A David Wallace died in Lennoxtown in 1998, aged 91.

Monica