Author Topic: Help finding 2nd great grandfather please  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding 2nd great grandfather please
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, any help at all with this would be a huge welcome. I'm not sure if it' me being tired and just brain frozen at the moment. I pay for ancestry and forever updating my credits on Scotlands People. I have gone back 4,5,6 greats on different Scottish side, but hit a wall here, not sure what I am doing wrong? I am not a professional in any way and everything I have find is pure hobby and passion for wanting to know my family history.

So I am looking for my 2nd great grandfather Robert Wallace.

As far as I am aware he had one child my great grandmother Mary Scot Wallace,
Birth 17 AUG 1905 • Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death 15 FEB 1973 • Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Her mother Robert wife was Amelia Henderson Brand
Birth 21 NOV 1881 • Dennistoun, Lanark, Scotland
Death 20 JUN 1913 • Dennistoun, Lanarkshire, Scotland

She passed away really young, so wonder if my 2nd great grandfather re-married?

I have Amelias death certificate and he is named as the informant. But after that I have know idea about him or where and when he died.

I have Roberts parents which I got from his marriage certificate of his and Amelia's wedding,
as 
Robert Wallace
Born around 1846 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, no death record
and his mother as Sarah Jane Clarke, no birth or death yet, but again have Robert and Sarah's marriage certificate too, can make out her father but not much else, I'm not to good at reading old records :-(

Hopefully there is enough for someone who might help me find my x2 great grandfather born about 1880.

Thanks guys :-)   

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding 2nd great grandfather please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

1881 Census(LDS)
598 Gallowgate St , Glasgow , Lanark.
Robert Wallace 33  baker bread b. Kilmarnock Ayrshire
Sarah Jane Wallace 29 wife b. England
Mary Ann Wallace 3 daur b. Glasgow Lanark
Robert Wallace 9m son b. Glasgow Lanark

Will have a look for later records.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census records. I have his marriage to Amelia and Amelia death record too. I am struggling to find what happened to him after her death.
His parents are a little burly too, but more so his mother Sarah as she was born in England so looking for her too.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
From the 1911 Census index , 644/2 11/28
Camlachie , Lanark.
Robert Wallace 63
Sarah Jane Clan(Clark?) Wallace 59
Sarah Jane Wallace 18
Robert Wallace 30
Archie Henderso(n) Wallace 29 (says female , Amelia?)
Robert Wallace 8

Worth a look I would think  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have Roberts parents which I got from his marriage certificate of his and Amelia's wedding, as 
Robert Wallace Born around 1846 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, no death record
and his mother as Sarah Jane Clarke, no birth or death yet, but again have Robert and Sarah's marriage certificate too, can make out her father but not much else, I'm not to good at reading old records
If you can't read it because it's a poor quality image, contact Scotland's People using the link in the web site when you view the certificate, and they will re-scan it.

If it's a good enough image and you are just struggling with the handwriting, post part of it here and see if we can read it.

Hopefully there is enough for someone who might help me find my x2 great grandfather born about 1880.
He was 9 months old on the day of the 1881 census. Therefore he was born in 1880. There are four recorded births of Robert Wallaces in Glasgow in the index at SP
Robert, Camlachie, 644/2 921
Robert Stewart, Kelvin, 644/9 719
Robert Stewart, Bridgeton, 644/1 1650
Robert Millar, Camlachie, 644/2 352
(I suspect there is just one Robert Stewart Wallace, registered twice, but I could be wrong)
Have you looked at any of these birth certificates?

There is no death of a Sara* Cl*rk*, other surname W*l*c*, in the SP index. Therefore (barring a really creative spelling of Wallace), she did not die in Scotland. In which case, perhaps both Roberts (senior and junior) also died outside Scotland?

BTW the original of the 1911 census should tell you where in England Sarah Jane Clarke was born. Have you looked at that?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
From the 1911 Census index , 644/2 11/28
Camlachie , Lanark.
Robert Wallace 63
Sarah Jane Clan(Clark?) Wallace 59
Sarah Jane Wallace 18
Robert Wallace 30
Archie Henderso(n) Wallace 29 (says female , Amelia?)
Robert Wallace 8

I have just ordered the 1911 census, but I can only see Robert and Sarah, it is defiantly my 3rd great grandparents as he was a baker and it mentions it on the 1911 census also. Not sure where you saw the other names? 

Worth a look I would think  :-\

ev

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
   Forfarian thank you for that, but I am a novice and your message has confused me, sorry I am still in training trying to learn how to go about and understand things :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the 1911 census image you viewed, were Robert and Sarah's name at the bottom of the page? It could be the household was split over two pages (pain when this happens as you have to use more credits to view the second page  :-\).

When your g grandmother Mary married (in Scotland?), what did she say about her father Robert (alive or deceased for example?). Any family names as witnesses?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk