Author Topic: Berry Street Presbyterian Church, marriage 1861  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berry Street Presbyterian Church, marriage 1861
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Not that it really makes any difference to the original question but the marriage registers for Berry St are on microfilm at PRONI - MIC1P/388. CR3/34 is actually a printed history of the church, presumably created to commemorate some important date. So it’ll list all the Ministers, alterations to the building, the elders and those who subscribed to it. But no marriage records there.

I should be in PRONI next week. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll get you a copy of the church version, and save you the PRONI fee.
Elwyn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is 'very' kind of you, thank you!

I'll send a PM right away :-)

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn.

I was hoping that no matter what the marriage certificate (and copy for the GRO) said, the church register like the RC ones I have seen may include more detail.

Ever a straw clutcher though, I will send for a copy of the church register entry in the hope that it may at least be neater, more easily read writing which may help clarify the bride's father's name.

Boo

It depends on the Minister....some were meticulous, some just wrote "A" married "B", some made notes in a diary, others made detailed entries!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Non-Catholic marriages started in 1845. After that date the minister would have used the civil form to record marriages. It was really only pre-registration that "It depends on the Minister....some were meticulous, some just wrote "A" married "B", some made notes in a diary, others made detailed entries!"
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tizzy14

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 May 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I was looking for exactly where Berry St Presbyterian Church was & came across your enquiry.
A William Cochrane Soldier married a Jane Sterling on 18 July 1861 in Berry St Presbyterian Church and her father is clearly written as John Sterling a Labourer.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 May 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Tizzy14  :)

Yes, it is clearly written!
Note that one of the witnesses was Marcella Sterling.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1861/09604/5482964.pdf

KG

Edited to add:
1859 article about Berry Street Presbyterian Church
http://ukwells.org/wells/berry-street-presbyterian-church

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi I was looking for exactly where Berry St Presbyterian Church was & came across your enquiry.
A William Cochrane Soldier married a Jane Sterling on 18 July 1861 in Berry St Presbyterian Church and her father is clearly written as John Sterling a Labourer.

Thank you. I do now have (thanks to the kindness of a Rootchatter) the parish register entry which does, as you say, quite clearly say John.
It was the civil register (attached)which was ambiguous - to my old eyes anyway which prompted my query.

I am now happy that Jane's Dad 'was' the John I had been hoping for.
Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Tizzy14  :)

Yes, it is clearly written!
Note that one of the witnesses was Marcella Sterling.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1861/09604/5482964.pdf

KG
Edited to add:
1859 article about Berry Street Presbyterian Church
http://ukwells.org/wells/berry-street-presbyterian-church

Thanks, Yes I have that version now too, plus the civil entry originally obtained via Proni and also the Parish register entry.

All with varying styles/ readability of handwriting it was the PRONI civil version that I had first though and I was unsure about the father's name.
Just goes to show that different versions of the same record need to be checked I suppose.

Boo