Author Topic: Murphy Catholic Baptism  (Read 977 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy Catholic Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

The Godparents would be in attendance. It would be rare if they were not. I once stood in for a Godparent who couldn’t there so it was by proxy but I have no idea what was written on that form.

Heywood
I've seen it in old registers (18th/19thC) "Joanna Carroll stood for Mary Southworth" or "Godmother Mary Southworth, Joanna Carroll stood".
Cowban

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Any responsible adult, baptised, has received communion and is confirmed can be a godparent or in my case, one responsible adult who never met me again (midwife) and one alcoholic (only friend father could find in a hurry)who forgot I existed so I wouldn't say they are very strict at all. :D
In times past, even recent past, i.e. mid-late 20thC, before the rules were revised, they didn't even have to be adult. In my case it was the 2 relatives who could be bothered to turn up at the church in time for the baptism and one was a young teenager so he had to do. If they hadn't been there my godparents would likely have been the parents of the other baby who was baptised with me. Only one godparent/sponsor is strictly necessary.

My brother was only 12 when he stood for our younger brother, I'd forgotten about that.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
 Choice of godparents would depend on whether the parents had family or friends living nearby.  The William Murphy godfather may have been brother, uncle or cousin to the father, or a more distant relative who happened to live in the area, or the surname may be coincidence and he was no relation at all.

Cowban