Author Topic: Alexander Fraser, born in Dores.. Abt. 1808  (Read 2328 times)

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Fraser, born in Dores.. Abt. 1808
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
For someone I have so much detail during his life and his movements he has become my brick wall.

Alexanders Fraser, 1808 (ish) - 1890.

He is the son of Alexander Fraser (Shepherd) and Janet Fraser (M.S. McKenzie)
Parents names obtained from Alexanders (I'll call him Alex jr) Death Certificate in 1890,

If I go to the earliest find, the first finding I have for Alex jr is in 1830, when he married Catherine McGruer. At that time, as stated on their Marriage Certificate, both were residing at Ness Castle in Dores. It was a basic entry, just giving His name/residence and Her Name/residence.

By the 1841 Census, he was at Bauds in Speymouth, with his wife and 4 Children, then between 1855 and 1861, he moved from Bauds, to Queenspark (farmhouse,) in Urquart, Moray, where he died in 1890.

All the findings I have, from the 1841 Census, through to the 1881 census, and his age at the time of his death, show him pretty much consistent with his age and place of birth, so I can approximate him having been born around 1808, in Dores. However, I can't find him.

I do use Scotlandspeople site, so it's been easy enough to spread it out, looking for his birth from as early as 1800 to 1815, giving a variation of surnames if Frazer was written, rather than Fraser. I did a search just for "Fraser" and I did come up with 3 girls born in 1813, 1821, 1823, all born to an Alex Fraser and Janet McKenzie, I decided to purchase two of the 3 girls certificates in hope, but again, the entry is basic, there is nothing that would help confirm this could be the same family as Alex jr,

Nor can I find a marriage between Alexander Fraser and Janet McKenzie that fits, the earliest finding was in 1818, and not in Dores.

I have found a Janet Fraser in the 1841 and 1851 Census, in the 1851 Census it has her as being formally Shepherds wife, and her age given as 66, her place of birth as Dores, Inverness.
At the same address, in Urquhart, Inverness (though no actual address is given) is Mary McDonald aged 27. Mary's age coincides with the birth certificate I have for 1 of the above mentioned Children of Alexander Fraser and Janet McKenzie,

in 1841, Janet Fraser is listed as a Cotter, aged 60 and living with Mary Fraser aged 18, addres is Ballaggan, in Dores

Taking the age given at the census, I did a birth search between 1770 and 1790 and came up with nothing.

Are there any pointers anyone can give me that can knock down this wall regarding Alex Jr's birth, his parents marriage?
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fraser, born in Dores.. Abt. 1808
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you found Mary McDonald's nee Fraser death to check the parents against Alex Jr

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I did get the certificate (whilst I was writing the above post) sadly, once more there is nothing on it to match them up, just their names and place they were living, I've yet to decipher.

EDIT HERE ops, I just reread, and saw you put death cert, I got the marriage cert, and mulling over the death cert still

The crazy thing is, as I still hunt, in the 1841 Census, I did find and Alexander Fraser living with his Daughter Janet,

Address: Balnafroige
FRASER   Alexander   M   65   Common Labourer    Inverness-shire       
FRASER   Janet   F   25       Inverness-shire

same place in 1851
Address: Balnafroig
FRASER   Alexander   Head   W   M   76   Pauper    Inverness-shire - Dores       
FRASER   Janet   Dau   U   F   36   Field Labourer    Inverness-shire - Dores 

Which fits in with my line concerning his age, and his daughters age

As does this for his wife, Janet (Nee McKenzie)

Address: Ballaggan
FRASER   Janet   F   60   Cotter    Inverness-shire       
FRASER   Mary   F   18       Inverness-shire 

Address: -
    MCDONALD   James   Head   M   M   37   Crofter    Inverness-shire - Urquhart       
    MCDONALD   Mary   Wife   M   F   26       Inverness-shire - Dores       
    MCDONALD   Mary   Daur   -   F   1m       Inverness-shire - Urquhart    age under 1m   
    FRASER   Janet   Visitr   W   F   66   Formerly Shepherd's Wife    Inverness-shire - Dores

Maybe they separated, but then it has Janet Fraser as a Widow, and Alexander as a Widow in 1851

What I know from the Address Alexander Sr is living at in 1841 and 1851, it's a stone throw away from where his Daughter in law (Catherine McGruer) was born, in Knockchoilum in 1808, which is when Alexander was supposedly born, maybe the family were neighbours, maybe I'm putting 2 and 2 together and way off target as it doesn't make sense.

I've yet to find out where Ness Castle is exactly, which is where Alex jr was living at his time of marriage in 1830, I know it's in Dores, I think it close to the Address Alexander Sr is living in the Census, as in the Scotland Places for Balnafroig I found this description for it..

"A one storey farmhouse with suitable offices attached, all in good repair, Lord Saltoun proprietor. Ness Castle."

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
If you can attach just the part of the 3 girls baptism especially the address somebody may be able to read it for you

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The only Mary McDonald I found, (Nee Fraser) died in 1919 aged 94 in Cannich. I probably should have gone for this over the Marriage certificate,

but for the girls, I have two, Janet I am sure reads Drummond, which fits into the other places, I'm not sure what, or where Mary's place of birth says,

I'll post them in hopes it fits into a close surround, I know the spelling of places varied in spelling over the years..

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1807 birth of Alexander Fraser at Dores. Father :- Alexander Fraser, Mother :- Margret McKenzie. This is only an opinion, but your supposition that "Janet" was the wife/mother perhaps should be checked with other sources.

Malky

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I already wondered if that was a possibility and I got that birth certificate and the marriage of that couple a while ago, it shows on the birth that Alex Jr was born in Drummond (which is my area I'm looking around) the marriage was Meikle?? Kirkhill, but neither have the occupation of the father. So it's in the I have no idea file.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Re birth locations yes Drummond and the other is Errogy aka Erogie/Errogie which is north of Drummond. 

No idea on the marriage could simply be his residence.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Errogy thumbs up, I think I'd have been struggling on with that one for a while.

For the earlier talk yesterday, I did delve into the Janet Fraser (Nee McKenzie) that I found in the 1851 Census, Searching for the death certificate, I think it's the same one, so delved back into the crypts and went for the death of a Janet Fraser, Widow of Alex Fraser (Shepherd). From this I did manage to get her Parents, which was John McKenzie and Ann Fraser, but I've yet to find her birth or her parents marriage, as my head is hurting so much, I need a rest now, but I was wondering if you could help me one last time, to see if you can translate 2 things from her death certificate, her place of Death in Dores, and on informant it has her son in law. I get the Fraser part, but not 100% sure of his first name, I see Keith Fraser

Thank you so much for the help you've given