Author Topic: Trying to trace further back  (Read 1300 times)

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
Trying to trace further back
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
So my ancestor Mary McDonald who married Patrick Dyer is consistently listed as being from scotland in Canadian census records 1871 and 1881 Mary Dyer.

Her marriage record states her parents as John McDonald a foundry laborer and Rose Kelly. John McDonald is shown as dead January 13 1882 in Falkirk. An iron foundry laborer parents names Patrick McDonald laborer and a Janet McMillan. Widow of Rose McDonald
Rose dies in Falkirk 14 January 1891
Widow of John McDonald foundry laborer maiden name Kelly parents Henry Kelly Farmer and Rose Mackay.

In the 1861 there is this same couple John McDonald and Rose with one child Rose who is 9 years old.

In the marriage of Patrick Dyer and Mary McDonald in Clyde, Glasgow, Lanark in September of 1861 they are listed as Patrick 20 and Mary 19. Her occupation is listed as Mill Worker.

John and Rose are up there in age so it seems Rose would be the youngest child, but it seems odd that there don't seem to be any others in between, however I do recollect seeing an index of baptisms of children of theirs however I haven't found any sort of birth information on Mary McDonald.

I am just trying make some sense of all of this. It seems odd that she would be in Clyde while her parents were in Falkirk. If her Rose was born 9 years prior in Falkirk. I don't understand why they would move back and forth like that or how Mary ended up in Clyde, Glasgow in the first place. I am very confused as you may gather hahaha.

I will reference some earlier points from older posts which led me back a bit further below.

There is a John McDonald (47) a foundry labourer with a wife Rose (45) both born in Ireland living in Falkirk in 1861 with a daughter Rose (9) who was born in Falkirk.  In 1871 they are still there he is no listed as 60, she as 49.  John died there in 1882 age 72; his wife Rose Kelly died in 1891 the informant her daughter Rosey Connell informant.

According to the 1865 Valuations 100 Bridgegate was stone/ground so either it burned to the ground or it was an empty lot. 

I have found Michael Dyer as tenant occupier of 100 Bridgegate in 1855 valuation rolls.

I found John MacDonald tenant occupier of 139 Saltmarket Street.
On the marriage record of Patrick Dyer and Mary McDonald it showed Mary's residence as Saltmarket.

My great great grandmother Catherine Dyer born July 11th 1862. Family arrived in Canada by 1863-64.

Parents Patrick Dyer born in Killala County Mayo Ireland. 1861 Census he is 19

His father Micheal Dyer 48 in the census. His mother Catharine nee Munnelly or Manley is shown as 38
His siblings include Bridget 16, Elizabeth 10, Mary 5, Sarah 8 months.

Patrick Dyer married Mary McDonald in 1861. Mary McDonald's parents are shown as John McDonald a foundry worker and a Roseann Kelley.
Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace further back
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 04:29 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census for Falkirk shows John and Rose (Rosey) as MacDonald with 3 children:

Kelly MacDonald bc.1834 Ireland
John MacDonald bc.1835 Ireland
Mary MacDonald bc.1841 Ireland

Perhaps she thought she'd been born in Scotland if that's all she remembered but 1851 census definitely states Ireland.

As to her ending up in Glasgow where she married she would no doubt have gone there from Falkirk purely because of work.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace further back
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
I found information which leads me to believe the prior connections that had been drawn for Mary McDonald daughter of John McDonald and Rose Kelly were incorrect. Considering that Kelly is a very common surname one of the top 5 most common Irish surnames in combination with a name as common as John McDonald it is likely there was another couple if not a few during the time period.

Patrick Dyer as indicated in marriage records as well as his other familymembers in a variety of records lived at 100 Bridgegate in Glasgow near the River Clyde.

In the 1851 census I found this:

Navigation Person OptionsMurphy Family TreeMurphy Family TreeFind person in tree SearchToolsEdit
Select a profile image for Mary McDonald.
Mary McDonald
1844–
3rd great-grandmother
LifeStory Facts Gallery Hints1 Navigation Research Tabs

Tutorials
Support CenterAncestry BlogSite MapGift MembershipsCareers
Visit our other sites: 
© 1997-2018 AncestryCorporate InformationPrivacyTerms and Conditions

Source Citation for 1851 Scotland Census

Ancestry RecordCitation DetailsAssociated FactsMedia

1851 Scotland Census
View Record
Name
Mary Mcdonald
Estimated Birth Year
abt 1844
Relationship
Lodger
Where born
Glasgow, Lanark
Parish Number
644/1
Civil parish
Glasgow St Mary
County
Lanarkshire
Address
100 Bridgegate
Occupation
Scholar
ED
Page
Household schedule number
Line
Roll
CSSCT1851_156

Sarah Rooney
Frances Mcdonald
Janet Mcdonald
Mary Mcdonald
John Mathews
Torence Mathews
Charles Rooney

Sarah Rooney appeared to be a lodging housekeeper for 100 Bridgegate. I observed that in an 1863 baptism for Michael Dwyer in Port Dalhousie Ontario son of Michael Dwyer from Ireland and Mary McDonnell from Scotland. The sponsors were a John Rooney and Bridget Dwyer. I would like to note that my wnd great grandmother Katherine Dyer Murphy was sometimes typod or miswritten as Katherine Dwyer in newspaper articles and other records.

I wonder if the Janet is a sister and if Frances is an uncle.

Any ideas of what to do from here?

Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier