Author Topic: Athol Cox and Eileen Merry  (Read 2022 times)

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Athol Cox and Eileen Merry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 February 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to you all. I am always amazed at how quickly and thoroughly people on this forum are able to answer almost any question you throw their way.
The seller of the item has told me that she had a suitcase with all of Athol's personal papers in it, including birth certificate and photos taken during the war. She took the suitcase to a swapmeet in Byron Bay and then realised that the papers were still in it. She removed the paperwork into a box but while she was getting lunch, her niece sold the box for $100 to a customer. I hope it went to a collector rather than a dealer.
The seller was going to get in touch with her relatives to find out more but I shall pass on everything that has been revealed here.
Thanks again - you're all brilliant! :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 February 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Kathryn I'm puzzled as this Athol didn't see service in Malta.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 February 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I have only seen a few pages of the diary and have attached three here. I may have got the wrong end of the stick with the Malta reference although it does appear that he flew to Athens. The diary was  perhaps purchased in Greece?
The seller also has a piece of knotted rope that Athol made during the war. That and the references to the Australian ships Perth and Ajax made me think he may have been in the RAN, but that has been proven incorrect.
Thanks again,
Kathryn.

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned that he flew a lot with the pay corps. Is it possible he would have flown to Athens in Greece or is there another Athens closer to home?
Perhaps he is just reporting what happened in Malta rather than actually being there.

Regards,
Kathryn.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 February 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Puzzled solved.

Cando  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 February 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando and everyone else for your help - greatly appreciated!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 February 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
May I continue to express concern for the chap born in Singleton in 1920.  He has been clearly named, his birthplace noted and his WWII service mentioned, as well as his next of kin noted. 

He is not yet 100 years of age, and has not been noted as no longer living. 

JM. R2M 11:45am AEST
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 February 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry that this is of concern to you Majm. I was unaware of the protocols surrounding the release of this information.
I am not sure that your assertion about obtaining files from the NAA is correct though. I have ordered files for people that I was unsure whether they were alive or deceased and always received the dossiers. Perhaps this is because an individual is paying for them to do something that they will get around to eventually anyway - namely digitising all of the WWII service records as they have for the WWI records.
I feel we are exceptionally fortunate in Australia to have access to these records for free. I know how difficult it has been for me to research servicemen and women from other countries.
I only do this to tell their stories alongside the items that formerly belonged to them in our museum.
I appreciate you telling me about this and I will endeavour not to name anyone who may be still living on this forum again.

Kind regards,
Kathryn.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 February 18 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes. it is commendable that you are helping to preserve the information and to tell their stories.  But their stories are 'theirs' while they are living, and in Australia, each living person has the lawful expectation to privacy of the individual, including of course, privacy for their name.   So I am simply concerned that by publishing his name, date of birth, WWII service mention, and nok, that you need to confirm he is no longer living.    If he were your living relative would you expect a stranger to post those details about him on a public forum?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.