Author Topic: DNA results are back!  (Read 12035 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results are back!
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that :)

I decided to actually go through all 6,000 odd and type england united kingdom in capital letters, with commas and full stops and NO abbreviations.. then the error will not be down to my laziness.. but what a boring job... still who has better things to do... !!!!! I wish.  :) :) :)

xin

Fingers crossed your amendments are not interpretted as NEW ENGLAND, USA   ::)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
oh my goodness...

wells its something for me to occupy my time with.

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Janelle,

I haven't had any contact re shared matches either, other than one lady replying to my message to let me see her private tree. She said she would, but hasn't as yet.

I did the same as you when I took the test and put my tree on Ancestry for all to see, despite my reservations. I thought it was the best way to take advantage of the test results. Now I'm also starting to think I may not have done myself any favours - people are inherently selfish, and it has crossed my mind that they may just look at my public tree for a connection and not bother to contact me unless they need to know something to their own advantage.

I'm giving it a few more days, then I may well end up making my tree private.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I've come to the conclusion now having read this thread and others that it is probably best not to make your tree public as then people just see it and don't bother to contact you. I think this is where I have gone wrong. On ftDNA I have a tree that is available for anyone who has a confirmed match to me, it also probably has too much information on it regards names, dates and locations. Oh well we live and learn ..........
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I opened mine to public for 10 mins and decided to risky 
So its private again.

ANYONE with a serious chance of being related I will allow to see it. 

But not a single Tree collector.

xin

here is one of the matches they gave me. 
Moore is a possible I thought .  but NOPE

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I've always found Ancestry impossible to navigate, so please can someone help?

On the ethnicity map which divides itself up into 1800, 1825 etc and the little yellow numbers which pop up e.g. over Scotland. Are these the number of people you have in your tree from that area? If so, what has that to do with an ethnicity estimate? If I was totally mistaken about a line and wrongly attributed it to - say - Outer Mongolia, would this little map really show me I had an ancestor in Ulan Bator?

In 1825, my map has dotted white lines running from GB around the globe to the USA and Australia; in 1850 said dotted lines are going to 3 places in the USA but none to Australia etc. these can't be from my Ancestry tree because I haven't entered any of the people who emigrated as they were siblings of my direct ancestors.

The one that has really piqued my interest is one for 1875 which has a few yellow dots in and around Salt Lake City. How do I get to the significance of this? One theory that other Bishop connections have for what happened to my 2x gt grandfather George Bishop who was reported in the local newspaper in 1853 for leaving his wife and children destitute in Yorkshire and high-tailing it off to the US with another man's woman is that he became 'something big in the Mormon Church! I've never found any proof for this - until now? I wonder.

What on earth am I supposed to glean from these maps?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I believe the ethnicity results, which are deeply flawed, to be of your distant ancestors, hence European, Scandinavian etc for UK testers with no known connections to these places.Some thousands of years ago, or even further.

The details given for 1800, 1825 etc are lifted from your tree, to show where you think your ancestors have spread to at different times.  Click on the red circles for a given year, it purports to show the names of ancestors who have emigrated to say, USA.

The only problem with this is the way Ancestry deals with places not in their correct format. For 1800 it seems broach correct, in later years it makes a mess of things.  I have someone supposed to have gone to USA, when they stayed in England throughout.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Margaret.

Any idea roughly how often Ancestry update the matches and - presumably - let us know?
HELP!!!

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The matches database seems to be updated every working day and these appear in your browser as "new" (with the little blue dot beside them). Ancestry do NOT inform you of any new shared matches but they are there if you can be bothered to trawl back through every match.

Oh how I wish they would!

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f