Author Topic: Six months free Gold membership The Genealogist  (Read 2216 times)

Offline mike gordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Six months free Gold membership The Genealogist
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Have just purchased the latest issue (7) of Discover Your Ancestors magazine at a cost of £7.99 which looks expensive. But included is six months free Gold membership of The Genealogist as well as some other useful freebies.
The magazine's very good as well. All in all, well worth having.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Six months free Gold membership The Genealogist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike. The offer sounds to me like it may be worth a punt. Could you please inform me of exactly what Is searchable in the offer?
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline mike gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Lot to answer there.
Suggest easier to google 'gold membership the genealogist', it's all given clearly. But you can't get the six months trial without the magazine.
I've had it just three days now and has already cleared up a couple of things for me, so was worth the price anyway. Searches produce something different from one site to another as their search algorithms are different.
The magazine's quite good in itself and there's quite a lot of other freebies included.
Mike

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Mike. it would be interesting to know how you feel about the site after using it for a month or so.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline mike gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Mike. it would be interesting to know how you feel about the site after using it for a month or so.
First impressions are, I don't like the search options, not enough boxes for info input. But as I said earlier, it has produced some results I had not previously found using Family Search, My Heritage or Find My Past (which I find useless even though I have it free at the library).
Were I paying a full new subscription, I believe I would prefer Ancestry.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
First impressions are, I don't like the search options, not enough boxes for info input. But as I said earlier, it has produced some results I had not previously found using Family Search, My Heritage or Find My Past (which I find useless even though I have it free at the library).

Mike, do you not find Ancestry so entirely USA based it drives you mad? 
 :-\ Of course if you live in USA that is a silly question!  :-[
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline mike gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »

Mike, do you not find Ancestry so entirely USA based it drives you mad? 
 :-\ Of course if you live in USA that is a silly question!  :-[
I must say that it's several years since I last used Ancestry and was heavily into the census periods then and I remember liking the hints it came up with. Don't know if that's still the same today. Also in the main I am now working much earlier than the first census.
Last week, purely by accident I was redirected to Ancestry and for a whole day it allowed me to explore parish records down to the image, brilliant! I got some very useful results. The next day when I tried the same link, no access! It pointed out that my free trial had expired.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike..... assume you do know about the IGI ?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline mike gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike..... assume you do know about the IGI ?
You've lost me there?