Author Topic: Time to buy a new desktop PC, I think. Advice please.  (Read 2457 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Time to buy a new desktop PC, I think. Advice please.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
All getting a bit too technical for me now! VGA sounds like a new kind of vegetable soup to me; PS2? Dropbox? Mozy?

And why, pray, do you automatically assume - I'm talking to you, Ray! - that I'm an OAP? How very dare you!  Is it cos I's techno-challenged?!! I do like a drink, though.....

I think I shall do what Jane suggested - identify a couple of likely desktops from Which, print them off and take them into the shop with me and see how much it would be to make me a similar machine (is it really no more expensive than buying one off the shelf?) and for them to transfer all my stuff across.

The shop is tucked away in a quiet street - the total opposite of PC World but, as I say, has lots of good local reviews.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
When I transferred stuff from the old computer to the new one, despite having purchased a HDD caddy, I did it using a USB stick (most of my data was already on portable HDDs so there wasn't a great deal to move).  There were a couple of things that I forgot about and needed to do later and yes it is a bit of a pain having to connect the monitor etc to the other computer and back again, but it's do-able.  If you just need a basic monitor to temporarily get you out of a spot, you'll very likely be able to pick one up for free through freecycle/freegle or similar.

The difference in price between the Lenovo I bought and a bespoke one to a slightly higher spec from my local independent computer shop was about £40.  I was pleasantly surprised, like you Jill I'd imagined that built to order means expensive.  I imagine that the cost will to an extent reflect local labour rates.  If you live in the home counties you may find more of a difference.  But it rather highlights the massive profits that the big manufacturers, with their economies of scale and overseas workforces, must be making.

Jane :-)

ps I "gutted" the old desktop yesterday and its HDD is at last in the caddy bought for the job!
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No, it's just that the OAP ones tend to be FREE?

Apologies if I've caused offence.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No, it's just that the OAP ones tend to be FREE?

Apologies if I've caused offence.

Ray

Don't be daft!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.