Author Topic: Time to buy a new desktop PC, I think. Advice please.  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Time to buy a new desktop PC, I think. Advice please.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »

Its all very well, Philip, you said just plug it into a USB and copy your files. I know - to you - that will sound totally straightforward. To me, it leads to questions like 'how?' and 'how will it know which files?' and 'does it include operating files or shouldn't I even go there?'.

The new computer will not automatically transfer your files - you have to do that manually. Operating system files are not copied over - you cannot do that.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hiya!

Why not . . . . .

go to your local library and ask
"Is there a local OAP computer club?"
go to you local(ish) OAP computer club (laden with wine may work well)
Explain to them what you'd like to do ?
ASK them if they could advise ?

ASK 1 of them to walk you home if you've drunk all the wine  ;D

[ or some kind of happy variant of the above ]

Ray
ps I am NOT implying that OAP Computer Clubs are full of drunken members/guests . . . . .
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Ray - lead me to them  ;D
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I've just swapped over from my old Vista laptop to a Windows 10 one.

I decided to mostly transfer on a memory stick, but I could have used either Dropbox or the on-line back-up service I use, to download all my files. I use Mozy, there may be others - all you do is choose which files you want to back up, and set how often you want it to back up. The first time takes several hours, but after that, mine kicks in once a day, and backs up on-line any files I've changed, in about 5 minutes.

Twice over several years I've had to use it to replace all my files, when something's failed. I lost nothing!

If you don't have too much data (alas, I have far too much!) it's FREE!

And best of all, I discovered that my PAF programme still works on Win10!!  ;D ;D
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I have just bought a tailor-made desktop from Palincomp.  If you visit their web-site it provides you with every possible combination from cases through all the software plus the add-ons such as screen, mouse, keyboard, etc.  If that is not to your liking they also provide ready made ones at reasonable prices.  I ordered mine on the Monday evening and it was delivered by noon that Friday

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 February 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Its years since I got my current PC - its on Windows Vista ... I'm not a game player and I don't watch films - just the occasional catch up or youtube video. I mostly use it for Family History, storing FH data and emails, plus downloading music ...

With those requirements you don't need anything too powerful or expensive, almost any modern "entry level" PC should easily do what you want, for around £400. As others have said, you should be able to use your old monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc . . . you can replace them individually if/when the need arises.

Windows 10 is somewhat different from Vista but is really not difficult to master, and you don't really have much choice in the matter these days. Also, it has a built in back up system, antivrus software which gets mixed reviews  :-\ . . . and 5GB of free cloud storage which is useful for backups.

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 February 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
FamilyDar,

Just got back, hic!

No white left, nor cider (sorry Kev), loads of Rose (ay?).
Someone stole the Red . . . . .

Learnt all about the problem, everyone chatting about Rootschat.

Solution, turn up next week to discuss? Same time, same place.

Um, what was the problem again?

;D
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 February 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
As others have said, you should be able to use your old monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc

Just one word of caution. There is a trend away from VGA connections these days towards HDMI and/or DisplayPort so check what your new base unit has and whether your existing monitor has a corresponding connector. Yes, there are adaptors available but if your new unit only has HDMI then it's better to have an HDMI connector on your monitor rather than trying to get HDMI-VGA adaptors.

Similarly, your existing keyboard and mouse may still use the old PS/2 type connections where most of these devices are now USB. Again, just don't be disappointed to get your new unit home and unwrapped and there's nowhere to connect your keyboard to it. But keyboards and mice are pretty cheap these days so wont break the bank to get new ones.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I would add another caution, it may be that in transferring things across the odd thing may be missed, it would be desirable to have both machines working together for a while, which is difficult if you reuse monitor etc.

I may be hopelessly out of date here, but when I transferred loads of music from windows XP to windows 7 the music went fine but the licenses did not, and I could not then copy some of the music to the iPad using iTunes.

Mike