Author Topic: Clarification of phrase on Death Certificate  (Read 541 times)

Offline GfL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarification of phrase on Death Certificate
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have just got the death certificate of my Dad's Great Aunty - was going to upload it but file was too large   ::)

Death:  Mitral Stenosis

Occupation: Domestic Servant, Daughter of David Evans and then gives his occupation.

Signature, Description and Residence of informant: "William Lewis causing the body to be buried 4 Middle Taff Street Merthyr"

Neither of us have seen this phrase before - could someone please explain it ?  We don't know who William Lewis is and as her father was mentioned on the certificate I would have thought he would have been the informant.

Also, my dad is querying why it says ".....after post mortem without inquest" in the Cause of Death column? I'm assuming as they were able to diagnose Mitral Stenosis an inquest wasn't needed?

Any help / clarification most welcome

Thanks
Sarah  :)
Evans, Price, Jenkins, Lewis - Llancarfn, Llansannor, Mynyddislwyn, Trefegwlys, Aberdare, Abercarn
Edwards, Hodgson, Searle, Titchener, Tarran, Armstrong - Richmond, Walton-on-Thames, Kingston, Surrey, Lynesack & Softley, Etherley, Cockfield, Hamsterley, Durham, County Wexford
Potesta - Kingston, Surrey

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of phrase on Death Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
"William Lewis causing the body to be buried 4 Middle Taff Street Merthyr"

Neither of us have seen this phrase before - could someone please explain it ? 

See reply2
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=688697.msg5326850#msg5326850
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine there needed to be a PMto exactly establish mitral stenosis was the cause of death.It can be heard in a living person as it is a narrowing of the valve in the heart(that is a simple explanation)which allows blood from the left auricle to the left ventricle,when it is narrowed there is a backlog  of blood,causing all sorts of problems.
Often a P.M is done because a Dr was not consulted for some time. Not entirely sure about that-.
I just realised I am years out of date using auricle---now it is atrium.
Mitral stenosis was often the result of Rheumatic fever s with my Mum,who had it at 16
pre anti-biotic days,1912. She died from a heart attack aged 61.
                                                           Viktoria

Offline GfL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 18 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie and Viktoria,

Thank you for the link and info.

Best regards
Sarah
Evans, Price, Jenkins, Lewis - Llancarfn, Llansannor, Mynyddislwyn, Trefegwlys, Aberdare, Abercarn
Edwards, Hodgson, Searle, Titchener, Tarran, Armstrong - Richmond, Walton-on-Thames, Kingston, Surrey, Lynesack & Softley, Etherley, Cockfield, Hamsterley, Durham, County Wexford
Potesta - Kingston, Surrey

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Mitral stenosis is heart and blood vessel disorder and is a narrowing of the mitral valve opening that blocks (obstructs) blood flow from the left atrium to the left ventricle. Mitral stenosis usually results from rheumatic fever. Mitral stenosis does not cause symptoms unless it is severe.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
"Causing the body to be buried (or cremated) " is one of last qualifications on the informant qualification list that allows someone to register a death - it means exactly what it says i.e. the person dealing with the funeral arrangements, but GRO rules specifically state that it should not be a funeral director. What you can be fairly certain of is that the person is not a relative, otherwise that would be their qualification and stated as such.

These days it is often used for co-habiting couples,when the survivor wasn't present at the death  (as they are not legally regarded as a relative).

"After post mortem without inquest", means no doctor was able to give a cause of death so the coroner orders a post mortem examination  to determine one (if possible). The vast majority of cases referred to the coroner never lead to an inquest - inquests are to look into the circumstances that lead to a death, not the medical cause.