Author Topic: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany  (Read 208 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My uncle and his Lancaster Bomber Crew were buried in the cemetery at Hullen in Gelsenkirchen in 1944 before their remains were later moved to Reichswald Forest Cemetery- Commonwealth War Graves. I was wondering if there are any pictures of the cemetery in hullen at that time- Field 45 K was a new plot in 1944. Any ideas please?

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caroline,

You would probably be best to contact a local history group in Gelsenkirchen. Do a google search for 'Heimatverein Gelsenkirchen' and you'll find a couple of possibilities. You can also search for 'Stadtarchiv Gelsenkirchen'.

Were there any Canadians in your uncle's crew? The reason I ask is that the full service records of RCAF personnel are available on ancestry. The records of the Canadian who was killed with my father's second cousin (a 20-year-old Lancaster pilot) in 1943 included a photo of the cross erected to mark their temporary grave.

Justin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany- Completed
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the guidance. No - there were no Canadians in the 7 man crew-but thank you for the tip!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)