Author Topic: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany  (Read 532 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My uncle and his Lancaster Bomber Crew were buried in the cemetery at Hullen in Gelsenkirchen in 1944 before their remains were later moved to Reichswald Forest Cemetery- Commonwealth War Graves. I was wondering if there are any pictures of the cemetery in hullen at that time- Field 45 K was a new plot in 1944. Any ideas please?

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caroline,

You would probably be best to contact a local history group in Gelsenkirchen. Do a google search for 'Heimatverein Gelsenkirchen' and you'll find a couple of possibilities. You can also search for 'Stadtarchiv Gelsenkirchen'.

Were there any Canadians in your uncle's crew? The reason I ask is that the full service records of RCAF personnel are available on ancestry. The records of the Canadian who was killed with my father's second cousin (a 20-year-old Lancaster pilot) in 1943 included a photo of the cross erected to mark their temporary grave.

Justin

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery at Hullen Gelsenkirchen Germany- Completed
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the guidance. No - there were no Canadians in the 7 man crew-but thank you for the tip!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)