Author Topic: Length of Militia postings  (Read 527 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Length of Militia postings
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
During the Crimean war, the Cheshire Militia were sent to Plymouth, along with my GG Grandfather. According to information I have found, even after the war had ended they still don't seem to have returned to their native Cheshire, but moreover were sent to various other places. I have always assumed that as they were essentially a part time unit, they would have returned to their families and normal jobs as soon as possible, clearly not the case.

The simple question I have is "was it normal for Militia units to be away for so long?"

In my GG grandfathers case, it was long enough for him to abandon his wife in Cheshire, and re-marry another

Regards

Stewart 

Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Length of Militia postings
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
If it is 1855 you are referring to then it was the 2nd Cheshire Militia in Plymouth.  It seems this battalion was disembodied in 1856.  There were two Cheshire Militias embodied (ie for full time service) at different times and it may be that he served with the 2nd in Plymouth and later enlisted (deliberately to get away??) in the other.  The 1st appear to have remained embodied from 1855 until 1859.  One can't put a length of posting on it as embodiment was for the duration of whatever emergency they were covering for.

Bit tenuous and a history of both militias may shed more light.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Cheshire Militia were disembodied 27th October 1858.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD & Stan for your replies.

I believe he was "initially" with the 2nd Cheshire Militia, and after he married his Cheshire wife in August 1854 was posted to Plymouth, I guess around late 1854 or early 1855.(unless you know otherwise). In May 1855 the 2nd Cheshire's were involved in a riot, in Plymouth and later on that year my GG Grandfather, married his other wife. 

However, if the 2nd Cheshire were disembodied in 1856, I also guess, (as you hinted MaxD) that he re-enlisted, because one of his children (with his "other" wife), was born near Portsmouth. My  research has revealed that the Cheshire Militia, were indeed, sent to an establishment near there, for Rifle Practice, in the same year.

One thing I have drawn from all this, is that his first wife (actually his second, but that's another story) probably expected him to be away for quite some time, but maybe not for good.

Thank you once again for your interest

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.