Author Topic: Arthur and Hutton families from Dungiven  (Read 1112 times)

Offline JohnnyA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur and Hutton families from Dungiven
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
John Arthur and Anna Hutton, both born 1846, married in 1875 at Newtonlimavady. Fathers were John Arthur and Hugh Hutton, from Ballyharigan?  Looking for information as to Mothers and graveyards where possibly buried

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Hutton families from Dungiven
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
John Arthur’s address at the time of his marriage was Altnagelvin. Anna’s was Ballyharigan. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church which was Dungiven Presbyterian. So that’s where you may find her baptism which may have her mother's name. At the time of Anna’s birth there were 2 Presbyterian churches in Dungiven. They combined into one church in 1849. Dungiven 1st has baptisms for the years 1836- 1848 and Dungiven 2nd 1839 – 1847. Copies of both in PRONI in Belfast.

Probate abstract from the PRONI wills site: Probate of the Will of Hugh Hutton late of Ballyhargan County Londonderry Farmer who died 1 July 1916 granted at Londonderry to The Reverend Samuel Gourley Presbyterian Minister.

Altnagelvin is in Clondermot parish. If the family was Presbyterian then there are 4 or 5 churches in that area. The only one with baptism records for c 1846 is Gortnessy. (Copy in PRONI).
Elwyn

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
An Anna Hutton was baptised in Dungiven Presbyterian Church (2nd) on 15 October 1846, date of birth given as 9 September 1846, her parents were Hugh Hutton and Elizabeth Craig, the address was 'Ballyhargan'. Other children baptised in the same church for a couple with those names and address were Lavinia Hutton born on 27 June 1839, Maria Hutton born on 15 May 1841, and Hugh Hutton born on 23 February 1844.

Looks like Hugh Hutton who died in 1916 may have been the son (reported age 74):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05239/4451555.pdf

This looks like a possible death for Hugh Hutton senior in 1881:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06454/4855145.pdf

...and a possible death for Hugh senior's wife Elizabeth in 1891:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1891/06075/4732461.pdf

I imagine you've already seen the Huttons in Ballyharrigan in Griffith's Valuation, so note the following entries from the tithe applotment books:
- Houton, Hugh, Ballyharigan, 1827, Bovevagh, Derry
- Houton, James, Ballyharigan, 1827, Bovevagh, Derry

Offline kingstondonaldson981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 21 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am posting about my Hutton family from this same area Ballyharigan. Frank-Francis & his sister Nancy both married into my Donaldson family in Frontenac County, Ontario Canada in 1850s/60s. Their parents were Archibald Hutton & Sara 'Waddle'. Frank married Mary Donaldson & Nancy married his brother James Wray Donaldson. My Hutton clan lived right by the Osborn(e)s. We are related to the Osborn(e) family.  There was a William Donaldson living in the townland of Flanders, which is slightly northwest of Ballyharigan. If you walked straight from Ballyharigan to Straw House, where the Edwards family lived north of Dungiven, you would cross Flanders. Our family is also connected to the Edwards clan through the Osborn(e)s & possibly through a rev Nehemiah Donaldson. A William Donaldson born in 1814 emigrated from Ballyharigan in 1834 to New York City. A James Hutton emigrated from Ballyharigan in 1833, he came to Kingston--I believe him to be Archibald's brother. My 3rd G Grandparents were William Donaldson 1784 & Catherine Scott 1798 from the 1st Donagheady Presbyterian Church area. William Donaldson's father John Donaldson 1750-60 was married to a Baird--a daughter of William Baird 1715 & Martha. He had a brother/1st cousin Robert Donaldson also married to a Baird. If anybody finds this information familiar please respond.