Author Topic: Marriage in Abraham Ashdown's Will  (Read 563 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage in Abraham Ashdown's Will
« on: Monday 26 February 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering someone can check the attached extract from the Will of Abraham Ashdowne and clarify something for me. In the attached part of the Will Abraham refers to the following person:

"Mary Ashdowne the wife of Daniel Richmond" [Daniel's surname may be something different but does seem to start with Rich..].

Why would Mary be referred to as Mary Ashdowne if she was Daniel's wife? Why not refer to her as Mary Richmond or "Mary the wife of Daniel Ricmond"?

Many thanks

Matt

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Abraham Ashdown's Will
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 01:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage 14 Sep 1607 in Dorking between Mary ASHDOWN and Dan*l RICHMAN. Would this work with the people/dates/area?

Maureen

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage 14 Sep 1607 in Dorking between Mary ASHDOWN and Dan*l RICHMAN. Would this work with the people/dates/area?

Maureen

Hi Maureen

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I think it's too far away. Abraham Ashdown died in Frant, Sussex in 1627 [I think that's the year but need to check].

Daniel's surname might also be "Richard" or "Richards"

These are not direct ancestors but I do wonder why Mary was referred to in such a way.

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm reasonably confident the surname is Richmond, after subtracting the artifacts around the text.

Don't dismiss Maureen's marriage find too lightly.  RICHMAN is quite plausibly a variant on RICHMOND, and plenty of people married in a radius of forty miles (or more).

As to your initial question, it's not that unusual to have a daughter referred to in this way.  Whoever drafted the will could have used the other constructions you mentioned but chose this one.

I don't believe it signifies anything unusual about Mary or her marriage.  It's just an example of the variety and richness of C17th expression.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm reasonably confident the surname is Richmond, after subtracting the artifacts around the text.

Don't dismiss Maureen's marriage find too lightly.  RICHMAN is quite plausibly a variant on RICHMOND, and plenty of people married in a radius of forty miles (or more).

As to your initial question, it's not that unusual to have a daughter referred to in this way.  Whoever drafted the will could have used the other constructions you mentioned but chose this one.

I don't believe it signifies anything unusual about Mary or her marriage.  It's just an example of the variety and richness of C17th expression.

Hi

Thanks that clarifies and confirms things for me.

Initially I had thought his name as Richmond or Richmand but then thought I was wrong. It certainly would fit the spelling as you say.

Anyhow I'm not worried about when/where Mary's marriage took place yet as she isn't a direct ancestor and it was just interesting to see her referred to in this way. As you say it was simply an "example of the richness of 17th century expression" when it came to terminology.

Incidentally Abraham himself may not be a direct ancestor but I am hoping his Will will provide me with more detail on other Ashdownes in the area.

Thanks again

Matt