Author Topic: Image of Benjamin Stevens & family - help with dating & request for colorisation  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Image of Benjamin Stevens & family - help with dating & request for colorisation
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin was a baker & a grocer at various times during his working life. The daughter was a dressmaker. The only thing I can remember is that my dad said when he visited his grandparents in the late 1920's he was not allowed to take a comic to read & so often ended up looking through volumes of WW1 illustrated books - could it be a volume from the set my great grandfather had? Bit of an odd choice though if it is.....now I'm wondering if there is any significance that the large book is in front of the daughter?

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Image of Benjamin Stevens & family - help with dating & request for colorisation
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pat - another great colourised version. Nice to have one of my great grandfather in a brown suit. I know have 3 lovely versions which are all currently being passed around the world to my family in Australia, New Zealand, Canada & USA.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 February 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what the object. Is on the right hand corner of the book ...at first I thought it could be a pair of specs belonging to the older lady but she isn't holding them as I oringinally thought.
Lovely versions from Andy and Pat.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 February 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Carol, lovely versions from everyone....The boy scouts and the Girl Guides.. ;D ;D ;D

Nice to have a decent pic to work on. The more I look at this pic, the more I get the feeling that it is all about Beatrice. I agree the book is key.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 February 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
A good quality photo makes colouring much easier and a real pleasure doesn't it. I agree that she is the focus of attention and they are marking a special occasion as the gent appears to be wearing a dinner jacket, cloth covered buttons and satin insert on the collar.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 February 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Carol & Andy - you have certainly got me thinking about this photograph. I am wondering if the book is anything do with Beatrice's dressmaking - could it contain examples of her work?? Perhaps she had previously been doing piece work & this is to mark her officially going self-employed....I do have some more images which I am waiting to be 'approved' so I hope I can ask for your help on these as well!