Author Topic: Pennell Family, Antrim, 1770's to 1816  (Read 2693 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pennell Family, Antrim, 1770's to 1816
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
The Registry of Deeds is located in Henrietta Street, Dublin, Ireland and is a repository of records of wills, land transactions in Ireland and other deeds from 1709. While the original purpose of the Registry of Deeds was to enforce rules limiting the land transactions of Catholics, even before the removal of these rules in 1782 many Catholics and representatives of Catholic families appear in the memorials. Many memorials involved people of modest means who were merchants and traders who registered deeds to provide some form of security of tenure. Moreover, Catholic occupiers are sometimes mentioned.

The Registry of Deeds is a rich source of genealogical information. Marriage and other settlements are particularly informative about family relationships.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
thank you hallmark for expanding my knowledge and understanding,  however i couldnt open that link beyond a list of grantors eg h  What do you next please to see the entries or open index of H's?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Click on Camera....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
 hallmark further many thanks, and it is a treasure itatane.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline itatane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for not explaining how to view the microfilms, even after I said they were tricky to use (that is just me being an idjit).

Accessing: For access to them, I believe a familysearch account is required but not membership within the Mormon church (which I am not part of). As hallmark says, on the web page with the indexes, click the small camera icon to the right of the index or deed range. The list is rather long, and is organized by name indexes, then land indexes with the deeds appearing all the way down at the bottom of the page.
Navigating/Researching: Within each index, the volume appears to the right of the name then the page or record number (early volumes have both a page and record number, later volumes are ordered by case numbers without page numbers). On certain indexes, the names are all together with the year appearing to the right; other indexes are year by year. To my best knowledge they are all alphabetical.
Cautions/Tricky Areas: The first tricky part is that each microfilm may contain a couple indexes (like letters J through S) and it is sometimes necessary to click on the multi page view and zoom out a bit to see where the microfilm has title slides appearing within. (This also touches the deed book microfilms.) The second tricky part is that it is probably best to write down a complete entry to look up (including date), as some microfilms have the records organized by case number with the pages out of order numerically. It can be a little time consuming in the early volumes to track down each name, as townlands are not listed until the 1830s if I recall correctly.

Again, my thanks to hallmark, for filling in BallyaltikilliganG on this.