Author Topic: Joseph Brown, cannot locate him  (Read 4762 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Brown, cannot locate him
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Was the fathers occupation on the birth record that was looked up, ie RIC, and that's why that was important?
Did you not look at the scanned image of the birth certificate for John Joseph Browne that I posted the link to? Father's occupation clearly written as policeman.
Regarding the importance of father's occupation in the census- in this case he was an R.I.C. pensioner born in Fermanagh with wife born Belfast. He wouldn't have been posted in his home county and after marriage also not in wife's county. Also, chances are family could have moved around between various postings (as in this case where family were living in Castlerock). Then, when you start looking for births you need to widen the search more than other occupations such as farmer. When parents have common names or mother's surname isn't known then father's occupation is very useful to verify or rule out findings.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, I couldn't get the link up as I'm on my mobile, I'll get to a PC today and look it up.
Thanks for all the useful hints and tips for next time, greatly appreciated

Thank you all for your time and input.

Next search for me, find him in 1901!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at clues on Marriage Cert....

Link:  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11380/8178552.pdf

John Brown might be a sibling, have you looked for a Marriage for him?  Might get you the homeplace.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Now that you've found John Joseph Browne, do you think i should start a new post in regard to finding him on the 1901 and 1911 Census?
I've just spent 2 hours on looking for him on Ancestry and FindMyPast to no avail, all countries, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England!
I've more than likely missed something obvious, that's where i hope the experts can help.
If so, which heading shall i put it under?

Thank you again for your time and help.

PS, thank you Hallmark, the John Brown on the marriage may be Williams brother, but not the JB i'm looking for, may look into that another time, cheers anyway

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Don't start a new thread you'll only get asked questions already answered in this one.
You said his name is on his brother's service record, is it just his name?
On my grandfather's record there are notes beside his brother's names, an (E)for enlisted
If he had enlisted by 1901 or by 1911 and was on a base in Ireland he will only be recorded by his initials.

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for your reply.
On his service record it lists his Dad, Mother, all his sisters from the census, and one brother who is down as Joseph, not John Joseph. All the brothers and sisters have (y) next to their names.
He enlisted in 1900, so for all we know his brother may have died before the census came out

Thank you again

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
It was so long since I looked at the army service records I have for 3 of the family I needed to have another look and now I think the (E) simply stands for Elder and (Y) for younger. I hadn't compared the lists of brothers between the three records before but it's clear now. I had assumed the E stood for enlisted because the eldest brother had been in the army and there is no Ys on my grandfathers but looking at the record for one of the younger brothers the Es and Ys are there next to each brother.

Doesn't help you find John Joseph of course.

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Still interesting though. Thank you.
He could have gone overseas, if he's down as just Joseph on my GGF service record, then he could be using both John or Joseph, spelling Brown with or without an 'e' on the end!
Nightmare!
I'll have another look tomorrow, but its proving fruitless so far.
I do hope someone can help please

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Brown witnessed his father's death certificate in 1909 (found death date, 6th June 1909 on finding death notice in newspaper). His own address at time was 297 ...

posibly Ardenlee Avenue, but not quite clear?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .