Author Topic: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother  (Read 1515 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

William Lindsay married my GG Grandmother - Ann Lloyd (daughter of John and Sarah Lloyd) on
28 March 1853 in the parish of St Martin, Birmingham.  He states his age is 22 (so born c1831) is a bachelor - occupation Engine Fitter, Father William Lindsay (occupation farmer).

William and Ann had 2 children - Sarah Isabella (1853) and William John (1856).

My GG Grandmother Ann later married Thomas Pitt in 1857. She states she is called Ann Lindsay -  a spinster and that her father is John Lindsay (occupation engine fitter).

I cannot find any information/records on William Lindsay (her first husband) before she marries him, nor after she remarried.

I did trace a marriage between their son William John (junior) and a Mary Ann Haynes in 1874 - which produced several children and on the 1881 census it shows Mary Ann and children staying with her father in law and mother in law (James and Ann Lindsay)  in Aston, however the name of the father in law doesn't match information on William and Anns marriage certificate), plus the ages of the in laws (on the census must be incorrect if William Lindsay was born c1831).

I have also found the name Lindsay may be spelt Lindsey or even mis-transcribed.

Any help would be appreciated (if I haven't caused too much in the way of confusion).

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi only one piece of confusion from me

You say your GG grandmother married Thomas Pitt in 1857 then Say in !881 you have Mary Ann with her parents in law James and Ann Lindsay Do you think this is William with a second wife as your GG grandmother would be under Pitt

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Isabella Lindsay was baptised 17 Feb 1854 at SAINT BARTHOLOMEW,BIRMINGHAM
Sarah Isabella Lindsay was baptised 9 Apr 1855 at SAINT BARTHOLOMEW,BIRMINGHAM
William John Lindsay was baptised 29 March 1856 at SAINT BARTHOLOMEW,BIRMINGHAM
William John Lindsay Lindsay was baptised 1 Nov 1858 at SAINT BARTHOLOMEW,BIRMINGHAM

so it looks like they had four children and possibly two died

They lived at New Bartholemew St Birmigham in 1854 -1858
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure the marriages are of the same Ann?

When she marries Pitt, even if she was using the surname Lindsay, her father would be John Lloyd, not a Lindsay at all.  It is possible the registrar asked her fathers name and she said "John" and he made an assumption for the surname - but occupation Engine fitter? He was a carpenter at first marriage.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Wendy

Mary Ann was the wife of William John Lindsay (junior- born 1856 - son of William Lindsay and Ann Lloyd).

So her in laws would either have been Ann Pitt (Lindsay nee Lloyd) or William Lindsay.

Sorry its so confusing.

ilulea

Sarah Isabella and William John were both baptised twice - privately and publicly.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Birth
Oct/Nov/Dec 1853
Birmingham
Ref 6d 87
Sarah Isabella Lindsay mmn Lloyd
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
The first marriage - Ann Lloyd to Lindsay - she makes a mark
The second marriage - Ann Lindsay to Pitt - She signs
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
lizdb

Yes I am sure the both marriages are correct.  I have both marriage certificates.

As she states that she is a spinster when she marries Thomas Pitt but calling herself Ann Lindsay I guess she either lies and says her father is John Lindsay - or it is assumed so when entering details of the marriage.  As regards her fathers occupation - Engine Fitter was the occupation of her first husband William John Lindsay.

She has William John Lindsay baptised (for the 2nd time) the same day that she has her first child (Henry) with Thomas Pitt baptised on the 1st Nov 1858 at St Bartholomew.

So even more confusion.

Fay

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi where do you have for example Sarah Isabella and William J in 1871 census?
Keyboard86

I can locate in 1871 a Sarah Pitt 16 and William Pitt 12
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk