Author Topic: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother  (Read 1516 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
lizdb

I guess Ann may have learned to write her name at some point during the 4 years prior to marrying Thomas Pitt.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Lindsay - where was he before (and after) he married my GG Grandmother
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Keyboard86

Sarah Isabella is married to Thomas Haughton in the 1871 census.

Her brother William John Lindsay is living with his grandmother (Ann Lloyds Mother Sarah) (as he was in 1861).  He is listed as John Linsey in 71.  His grandmother Sarah Lloyd is listed as Sarah Hope as she remarried 6 June 1864.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry there is an Admission and death record for a William Lindsay b 1833 Silgo died 10 Jan 1857 in Dreadnought Seamans Hospital As an Engine fitter he could have worked on boats so could have been off shore for census or in Ireland Could this be him

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »

Wendy that sounds interesting. Will have a look.

However - if that is the case and he is deceased by the time Ann marries Thomas Pitt (9 March 1857) - then why would she be shown as "spinster" on her marriage cert.

Fay

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »

Wendy that sounds interesting. Will have a look.

However - if that is the case and he is deceased by the time Ann marries Thomas Pitt (9 March 1857) - then why would she be shown as "spinster" on her marriage cert.

Fay

Possibly the same reason her father is down as Lindsay and Engine fitter if its him then he had only been deceased for 2 months and she had 2 small children to take care of who knows what was going through her mind at the time

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Wendy

Do you have the link for the death record for William on Ancestry please.

Fay

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 February 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 February 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
There is also a death in Holborn 1857 William Lindsey age 23 on GRO that could match

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 February 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wendy

Just going  to follow up those 2 leads.

Fay