Author Topic: 1895 marriage cert George H Dean & Sarah M Morgans  (Read 636 times)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
1895 marriage cert George H Dean & Sarah M Morgans
« on: Monday 26 February 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Good evening and thank you in advance (as always) for any help that can be given.

I have attached a copy of a marriage certificate that I was hoping was for George Holloway Dean and Sarah Mary Morgans, however, as there are variations in the spellings I am not as certain.

I would be grateful for any ideas as to the profession of George and his father on the certificate as this may match with other evidence that I have.  I would also appreciate it if someone could confirm the names of both fathers please (possibly "John Michael Dean" and "John Morgan" both deceased?) 

The Father's names from George and Sarah's birth certs are different to those: "Michael Holloway Dean" and blank.

The street does match where they were living in 1911 (Hendrefadog Street, Tylorstown).

I have been unable to find any other possible marriage certs for this couple but can't help thinking this is the wrong one!

Regards,

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1895 marriage cert George H Dean & Sarah M Morgans
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nic,

I agree with the names of the father's.

George's occupation looks like collier. His father's occupation could be 'annuit' (Annuitant) ?

JJ

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I'd say George's father was a Chemist. And the surname is consistently spelled Deane here, including George's signature.

However, since this is all in the same handwriting, I'm guessing it's a GRO certificate which will have been prepared from the registrar's quarterly return, meaning there's a (small) possibility that the registrar miscopied the name and signature. It might be possible to get a copy of the actual entry and signature direct from the local register office.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Nic

I also agree the names of the fathers. I wouldn't worry too much about the bride suddenly having a father who she apparantly didn't have at birth -- often people who were illegitimate would simply make up a father at marriage to save face.

Also - depending when the groom's father died - the groom may not have been able to remember what his father's full name actually was -- and took a 'stab' at it.

The father's occupations are indeed difficult to decipher. Initially I thought Chemist (for the groom's father) and Mason for the Bride's 'apparant' father. Not too sure about the 'Chemist' now though!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I can now see where the thoughts on the occupation being a chemist. This would tie in with the 1871 for Michael Holloway Dean.

JJ

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JJ and Arthurk - Chemist does fit with what his father did.  Also thank you Pennine, the father did die 9 years earlier so the name difference could be down to that

This is getting more curious!

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery