Author Topic: medal Roll Index & MM  (Read 746 times)

Offline SM223

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: medal Roll Index & MM
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Ady, it was Jan 22 1917. I attached the screenshot of it, I think.

Frank, good idea! I will give that a try.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
The notes in Williamsons book about 22/1/17 gazette

"This gazette carries a few schedule numbers but many of the cards have none  this would indicate a tidying up of awards from August to November 1916 Dates for citations cover 19/8 to 14/11 and cover actions on the Ancre and Transloy Ridges."

Difficult to track artillery men due to them being sent all over the area in support of actions.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SM223

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Ady and I can appreciate the complexity of tracking down individuals, seems like it will remain a mystery!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Local papers are a good source around MM deeds if there was a local paper around at that time maybe a local history group or library could help.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.