Author Topic: medal Roll Index & MM  (Read 1411 times)

Offline SM223

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: medal Roll Index & MM
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
First off thank you all so very much!

Jim how do I read that? I understood the 1349 to be his original regiment number and then 630398 to be a regiment that he was either transferred to later or it was reassigned a new number is that correct? I do know he was in 255 brigade of the Highland Division (51st Battalion).

What information sources are you using? Is it mainly the National Archives and Ancestry only? When I looked through there I did not find this much information but I suspect my searches were not specific enough?

Thanks
Steve

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
255 (or CCLV) Brigade Royal Field Artillery, originally 1/1st Highland Brigade RFA, was one of the field artillery brigades in support of 51st Highland Division.  (First one here http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/cclv-cclvi-cclviii-howitzer-brigades-51st-divisional-artillery/ 

His second number was the result of the 1917 re-numbering of the Territorial Force.  Numbers in the block 630001 – 635000 were allocated to that Brigade. 

As you have Ancestry, you might like to read the war diary to see if you can discover the award of his MM, link:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43849_2854_3-00000?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing

National Archives to find the second card, Ancestry for the remainder.  There is a second medal roll for his 1914/1915 Star, link:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/5119/41804_636897_11341-00280?pid=126808&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DJdV2525%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26gss%3Dangs-c%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26msT%3D1%26gsfn%3Dc%26gsfn_x%3D0%26gsln%3Dtaylor%26gsln_x%3D0%26gskw%3D1349%26cpxt%3D1%26cp%3D4%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3D6x5%26pcat%3D39%26h%3D126808%26recoff%3D5%25206%26dbid%3D5119%26indiv%3D1%26ml_rpos%3D3&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=JdV2525&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
ditto.
Medal ribbons were awarded pretty soon after the event, so you're looking at Nov.-Dec. 1916 for a diary entry which may make a reference to it.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline SM223

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both and thank you Max for the help on finding the diary, that'll make some interesting reading fingers crossed I can find a reference in there!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Don't be disappointed if you don't find him named.  The artillery brigades were better than most in naming men awarded and some are indeed picked out in the diary.  However, the artillery brigades are often difficult because there were interminable re-organisations that saw batteries moving from one brigade to another so although your man seems to have started in 255 Brigade, there is no guarantee he was there later.
On 15 May 1916, one of these reorganisations saw D Battery of 255 Brigade moving to 258 Brigade where it became A Battery only for it to return to 255 Brigade in August when the battery was brokne up and the three sections sent to A B and C batteries.  I haven't seen his name in either 255 or 258 Brigades but then he may have been posted elsewhere too!  The fact that his new number was a 255 Brigade number doesn't necessarily mean he was in 255 at the change, the new allocation was based on where the man came from in the first place.

Feel free to ignore anything after the first sentence!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline SM223

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I appreciate that, whilst my grandfather wasn't mentioned in the diary its a very interesting read. Apparently he didn't want to talk about it according to my mum despite various attempts to get him to open up, not unusual I suspect.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Did we get a London Gazette date?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Jan. 1917.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Steve, have you thought of checking the local papers of the time, where he was from may have carried a story.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands