Author Topic: Zion Burial  (Read 9407 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zion Burial
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, though having now dug around for some old photos, I wonder if the map has got it wrong? See this photo of what appears to be an old chapel, though it's on the opposite side of the road from the burial ground:

http://bradfordphoto.org.uk/index.php/gallery/old-bradford/old-bradford-book-15/bk15-21e-tong-street-ne-side-near-holm-lane-3432
(others of Tong Street in same collection via http://bradfordphoto.org.uk/index.php/gallery/search - enter "Tong Street" in search box)

And a modern view, from the person who photographed the burial ground:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1734334

(It can also be seen on Google street view, at the corner of Oddy Street.)

It's not impossible that a chapel on a restricted site might have had a burial ground across the road, and maybe "Holme Lane" refers to the general area rather than its precise location. But I haven't managed to find anything about this particular building, and whether it could at one time have been called Zion.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
I would imagine the word Baptist would be incorporated with the name Zion..
We have 2 local Zion Baptist church yards here within a mile of us.
What time frame are we looking at, ie year of burial?
 Brian
Could the burial be at Halifax Mount Zion Cemetery  or even at Shipley as an after thought.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
You can see the Burial Ground marked on this map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/419169/430141/12/100392 Apparently became  Holme Lane Congregational Church https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/419169/430141/13/100951
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for finding that, Stan. It looks as though that whole area might at one time have been known as Holme Lane, as the first map you link to has Holme Lane Hotel just up the road from the chapel.

I'll happily concede that the chapel probably would have been the one next to the burial ground, rather than the one I spotted across the road, although I don't think we've yet found definite evidence that it was once known as Zion. Pity we haven't found a picture of it yet either.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 May 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
I have just fired an e mail to sbla asking about any burial records/site map availability.
 Brian

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
'' Quote from SBLA'' I can see no references to the registers being deposited at West
Yorkshire Archives.  Non-conformist registers were not required to be
deposited as Church of England records were. Nowadays when churches
close their records will find their way to an archive but until
relatively recently this was not the case.

'' Quote from SBLA'' On maps it is only identified as a
chapel and Sunday school but there is a large burial ground at the
rear.  Google Earth shows the building long gone, but the graveyard
looks to be there and very overgrown.  I know one of our members once
went and had a look but it was impossible to gain access.
 Brian

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 May 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
  Google Earth shows the building long gone, but the graveyard
looks to be there and very overgrown. 

This is the aerial view https://goo.gl/maps/bAi3z6jQjd32
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
I have a receipt for a burial at a Zion Cemetry The address was Holme Lane, Tong, Bradford, Yorkshire.

What does Zion mean and are there any old maps that I could look at, with this burial place on?

Hello

This is a Congregational Chapel. Many of the older Congregational Chapels were originally Independent Chapels and having a variety of names.

The Bradford Daily Telegraph, Thursday 18th November 1897
"Lidget Green Congrgational Chapel.- On Tuesday the members of the Lidget Green Congregational Chapel had a tea and meeting to take leave of their former pastor, Mr Fred Robinson, who has commenced his labours at Holme Lane, Tong." ...
They presented him with 18 volumes of books ;D  and Mrs Robinson with a silver coffee pot with inscribed initial.

You will find Lidget Green and a Holme Lane Chapel, Tong Street, Tong, both under "Congregational Churches and Chapels", in the link ...
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Bradford/BradfordChurches1927

Worth bearing in mind that if a Chapel was built a long time beforehand, there may also be the possibility that a burial ground was separate, or part of a burial ground was separate from a chapel?

Many of the 18th Century and early 19th Century Independent Chapels had become Congregational Chapels and over time some Congregational Chapels were closed and amalgamated and more recently came under the umbrella of the United Reformed Church (URC) HQ, who seemed to have acquired some Registers of these former Chapels.

If no Register locally at the Chapel and not at the relevant Yorkshire Archives or University Special Collections Library and you have checked these, then it might be worth emailing the URC Library / Archive, your receipt for their comments.

Out of interest, is the receipt dated and who signed it?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
The Bradford Daily Telegraph, 31st October 1887
"Opening Of A Congregational School Near Bradford.— On Saturday the ceremony of opening a new Congregational Sunday School in connection with Holme Lane Chapel at Tong, near Bradford, was performed Mr Briggs Priestley, M.P. Before the ceremony a service was held in the chapel, at which the Rev S. G. Jowett (pastor) presided;" ...
Also reference to 52 years since the old school was built and reference to the nearest Sunday School at Westgate Hill or Dudley Hill, in the talk given by S. G. Jowett.

Chapel linked to Congregational.

As mentioned previously - Nonconformist.

Mark

According to the link in my last post, the Holme Lane Chapel, was in Tong Street, Tong. I have not seen the source or date of that information.