Author Topic: Which Elizabeth Moone  (Read 1455 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Which Elizabeth Moone
« on: Monday 26 February 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I hope someone here can help me possibly resolve a puzzle regarding my ancestor Elizabeth Moone who married William Ovenden in Frant, Sussex in 1661.

William died in 1690 leaving a Will [dated 20 April 1689] in which he appoints his uncle Joseph Moone as Overseer.

Joseph was most likely the brother of Elizabeth and I have found two possible candidates for both Elizabeth and Joseph.

First there is an Elizabeth Moone (1634) and a Joseph Moone (1646) born in Rotherfield to Thomas Moone.

Then there is an Elizabeth Moone (1648) and a Joseph Moone (1645) born in Frant to John and Margaret Moone.

The first Elizabeth would be 27 in 1661 whereas the second Elizabeth would only be 13. The first Elizabeth seems a more likely candidate to be my ancestor as 13 seems a little too young. William Ovenden was born in 1632 so they would have been closer in age if my Elizabeth was first one.

I'm pretty sure my Elizabeth is not the daughter of John and Margaret but she could be related.

Matt

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Elizabeth Moone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Moone of Fant Sussex left a will dated 1688 ref: PCC Wills

names wife Sarah
all my children that shall be living (he doesn't name them)
children of late brother John (John died 1678)
William and John Ovenden children of my sister******* (your Elizabeth?)
Mary daughter of my sister Mary wife of James Fry (looks like)
brother Joseph
Thomas son of my nephew John Moone.

Looks like the right family although Joseph would be a brother in law not an uncle if he were
Elizabeth' brother. I am putting a modern interpretation on relationships though

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Moone of Fant Sussex left a will dated 1688 ref: PCC Wills

names wife Sarah
all my children that shall be living (he doesn't name them)
children of late brother John (John died 1678)
William and John Ovenden children of my sister******* (your Elizabeth?)
Mary daughter of my sister Mary wife of James Fry (looks like)
brother Joseph
Thomas son of my nephew John Moone.

Looks like the right family although Joseph would be a brother in law not an uncle if he were
Elizabeth' brother. I am putting a modern interpretation on relationships though

Hiya

Thanks for that. I have a copy of Thomas Moone's 1688 Will although I hadn't spotted the mention of Elizabeth.

I think you are right about Mary being married to James Fry as I am sure I've seen the name before.

I also have the Will of Thomas Moone's brother John who died in 1678 (again proved in the PCC) so I'll see if I can tie them up.

So based on the info in the Will of Thomas Moone we can establish:

1) he had two brothers (John and Joseph) - at least
2) he had two sisters (Mary and presumably Elizabeth)
3) William and John Ovenden were his nephews (being the children of his sister Elizabeth)
4) He had a nephew named John Moone who had a son named Thomas.

If I can find the marriages for Thomas and Sarah, Mary and James, then I might be able to establish approximately when they were all born. This will help me work out who the parents of Thomas, Elizabeth, Mary, and Joseph were. I strongly suspect that Elizabeth, Thomas, and Joseph were the children of Thomas Moone and were born in 1634, 1636 and 1648 respectively.

I'll have another look through my notes and Wills and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help

Matt

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 05:54 GMT (UK) »
For anyone else following this post.

John Moone died 1678 his will was short

Wife Jane
brothers Thomas and William

He doesn't mention a brother Joseph however Thomas and William Moone were the executors of his
will.
He obviously had children from the will of Thomas.

Need to find out if William Moone left a will as he is mentioned in John's but not in Thomas's just ten years later.
If his estate was below a certain value it would have been probated through a local court (Rochester) rather than Canterbury the highest court. A check of Sussex Record Office holdings is in order.

ADDED from the location of Frant you should rule out Kent Archives.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
For anyone else following this post.

John Moone died 1678 his will was short

Wife Jane
brothers Thomas and William

He doesn't mention a brother Joseph however Thomas and William Moone were the executors of his
will.
He obviously had children from the will of Thomas.

Need to find out if William Moone left a will as he is mentioned in John's but not in Thomas's just ten years later.
If his estate was below a certain value it would have been probated through a local court (Rochester) rather than Canterbury the highest court. A check of Sussex Record Office holdings is in order.

ADDED from the location of Frant you should rule out Kent Archives.

Hi

I've been through John Moon's Will today and like you say it is quite concise. Unfortunately there's not much else in it to help.

I've got copies of several Wills for the Moone family in this area from the mid 16th century up to the early 1700s. The only records of Wills I've found for any William Moones are all dated well before this time [there is a William Moone who left a Will in 1615, and another in 1634].

Based on the info in the Wills of both Thomas and John I suspect that Thomas, John, William, and my Elizabeth were the children of another Thomas Moone who was having children christened in Rotherfield in the 1630s and 1640s. These children include: John (26 Aug 1632 died bef 1640), Elizabeth (6 Jul 1634), Thomas (14 Aug 1636), William (17 Feb 1638), John (13 Dec 1640), Joseph (25 Nov 1646), and Joane (15 Sep 1650). These would certainly fit date and age wise.

I'm in the process of drawing up some basic family trees based on the info in the Wills I've got. I'll see if they provide any more clues.

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
So many Moones!
There is this record indexed on The Keep, may or may not be the right ones.
Deed of feoffment
28 Dec 1672
By Thomas Moone of Mayfield, yeoman, and Joseph Moone son of the said Thomas to John Moone of Frant, co. Sussex, son of the said Thomas - for £55 - of a piece of land called Moregreve containing 8 acres in Mayfield in the tenure of William Moone

There's a South Malling will of Joseph Moone, of Mayfield, yeoman, 10 Jun 1701 (but I don't think we can see it at home)
Another one! We can see this
Joseph Moone of Mayfield, yeoman, 25 April 1721
Mentions cousins/kinsmen Ovenden and Fry, among others.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D13S-XV7?i=214&cat=173636

John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
So many Moones!
There is this record indexed on The Keep, may or may not be the right ones.
Deed of feoffment
28 Dec 1672
By Thomas Moone of Mayfield, yeoman, and Joseph Moone son of the said Thomas to John Moone of Frant, co. Sussex, son of the said Thomas - for £55 - of a piece of land called Moregreve containing 8 acres in Mayfield in the tenure of William Moone

There's a South Malling will of Joseph Moone, of Mayfield, yeoman, 10 Jun 1701 (but I don't think we can see it at home)
Another one! We can see this
Joseph Moone of Mayfield, yeoman, 25 April 1721
Mentions cousins/kinsmen Ovenden and Fry, among others.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D13S-XV7?i=214&cat=173636

John

Hi John

I've seen this too and it's on my list of things to look at when I eventually get to go to the East Sussex Archives [not at the moment given the current weather!].

I have a note about the 1701 Will of Joseph Moone but not seen it yet.

Although it's after the period I'm researching, the 1721 Will of Joseph Moone of Mayfield looks interesting given that it mentions Ovendens and Fry[e]s. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

There seem to be a lot of Moons in the area, but thankfully a lot of them appear to have left Wills.

Thanks for the help and suggestion

Matt