Author Topic: Sarah Ellen Wayman.  (Read 1292 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Ellen Wayman.
« on: Monday 26 February 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folk's among a few loose end's in my family history is my Gt Grandmother Sarah Ellen Kirton
(nee Wayman),She was born in 1866 in Newcastle and I have her in the 71 and 81 Cencus by then
a wardmistress in a Newcastle childrens home as the family were split up.In 1901 now married
and living in Gateshead to William John Kirton with four children Including my Grandmother.
                                                       Now something major must have happened a few years
later the family are gone by 1911 there is a William john Kirton inmate at Bensham hospital
(death recorded 1913) whom I'm sure was my Gt Grandfather,my Grandmother was in Gateshead
now married to Robert Smith and living with Sarah ellens Mother Sophie(now re-married to a Henry
Curtis) no sign at all of Sarah ellen,Now the strange part,Minnie Kirton my Grandmother's youngest
sister is with a Nellie and Robert Woolhouse in Felling,it looks to me if the cencus record has her as daughter ammended to visitor,I found a marriage 1908 in Newcastle for Sarah Elllen Wayman to Robert Woolhouse! Nellie Woolhouse's age in 1911 is correct for Sarah Ellen,anyone got any thought's on whats going on is there any other avenue's I can follow?
Regard's Steve
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ellen Wayman.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Steve  :)

I would invest in a few certificates to check the Wayman/Woolhouse marriage is correct and how Sarah Ellen describes her status and also the death cert of William John Kirton to check what he died of

William John Kirton could well have had a long term illness and whether this caused the spilt with his wife or not as you say the children were dispersed in 1911.   Family Search shows daughter Kate/Catherine b 1898 Gateshead living as an inmate at St Marys Home for Roman Catholic  girls  in Tudhoe, Durham  https://stmaryshometudhoe.weebly.com/history.html   

If Robert Woolhouse "married" Sarah Ellen he may not have had the money or be willing to support her children or they may have already been dispersed when William Henry Kirkton became ill  :-\

Kay

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:24 GMT (UK) »
One of the nicknames for Ellen/Eleanor is Nellie.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:32 GMT (UK) »
One of the nicknames for Ellen/Eleanor is Nellie.

Janis

And Sarah Ellen is listed as Ellen S in 1901 so presumably favours the use of her middle name  :)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thank's folk's for taking the time to reply I think I need to invest in a couple of certificate's
to finally get the answer I'm looking for,I'm convinced also that it is indeed my Grandmother's
sister Kate in the girls home they were until then a Catholic family younger brother John is also
to be found in the gateshead area living with family,amazing but I'm not sure unique but in the
1901 cencus My Gt Grandfather William John Kirton and his brother James's family their mother
and three sisters(married names Madden,Appleby and Keenan) are all in the same two streets
in saltmeadow's Gateshead I counted thirty odd kid's between them!
Regard's Steve.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Good luck  and do let us know  ;D   I hope they answer some questions

Kay

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea about which Church Sarah may have married at in Newcastle?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
On FamilySearch, on children's baptisms surname spelled as 'Weighman'.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,sorry no Idea which church just noted the marriage on free BMD in Newcastle,thanks for the
info on Familysearch,another strange thing is I've never found their father Elijah Wayman's death
registered there were not a lot of men sharing the name at the time I assumed that the Edward
Wayman registered in death's for Newcastle in 1878 was the same person,sons Alfred and Edward
were in the Newcastle industrial school in the 81 cencus but I loose track of Alfred(a musician)
after the 1901 cencus.