Author Topic: Felton marriage dates 1768  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Re: Felton marriage dates 1768
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have put you to so much trouble Jen & David, but now I'm puzzled as well. I am an LDS church member, and I still get the locked message on many films when trying to view them at home. There must be different restrictions imposed by different copyright holders in various areas.

Obviously, I have been able to access the Felton one at home, but the contents are as per the attached snip, including dates, not including them, and back to including them, just for that year.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 06:16 GMT (UK) »
My transcript of the Felton record done by HM Wood which usually reliable and taken from the parish record does not record dates either so my guess is that they were not written in the record.  There are asterisks on my transcript but I haven't found the statement telling me why yet.  My guess is that the register was damaged where the date was?  There are witnesses to those marriages whose dates are missing.  Your witnesses were John Wood and Ann Collingwood and the marriage was by banns.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janis. Sorry for the late reply, but I have been without access for a most of the last week.

Didy

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Just to satisfy my curiosity I looked at the microfilm of the PRs today and they are exactly as posted in reply 9 above.

No dates but equally no damage to the records to account for that.  Who knows what the reverend was thinking of but it's the first time I've come across this.

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Me too. I thought it was strange that the period in question was almost exactly twelve months, so only affected the five or so marriages in that period. Not exactly a huge, very big parish, so shouldn't have been overworked. He wasn't keeping separate banns and marriage registers, and had been including all the relevant details in previous (and later) years. Maybe he was having a little personal protest about something - maybe they weren't paying him enough!