Author Topic: Felton marriage dates 1768  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Felton marriage dates 1768
« on: Monday 26 February 18 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I may just be unlucky, but am wondering if there was a historical reason for dates not being included in a marriage register in 1768 - 1769. I have been looking at the digitised record on Family search, and the register for that time is, of course, all handwritten, with the banns dates and marriages all in chronological order within the one register.

I was after the marriage of James Storey and Sarah Robson in 1768. It's there, but like several others within about a year, simply says "were married in Felton Church by legal publication of banns in the year one thousand seven hundred & sixty eight by me W. Henderson, Vicar" then a statement about solemnization and witnesses. Not even banns dates!

The last recorded date is 22nd May 1768, then five marriages with the above statement, then he goes back to dating from one on the 18th May 1769. William Henderson was the vicar right through for many years, and there are no missing pages.

It seems odd that the period is a year almost to the day.  ???

Didy

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Felton marriage dates 1768
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The records available via Family Search are usually copies of the Bishops Transcripts, not the original registers.

Each year the priest had to make a copy of the registers and send them up to the Diocese. The transcripts were supposed to be sent within one month of Easter.

So I should think it's possible that for the year in question William Henderson decided that for some reason he wouldn't copy up the precise date, simply the year.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Many are the original registers, and in this case you can see the actual volumes and covers. The catalog entry generally states when they are Bishop's Transcripts.

The thing is, he changes details halfway down a page, and back again overleaf.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find anything online via Family Search except the Bishops Transcripts  :-\

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at the transcripts, which at that time were patchy & incomplete. For 1768 there is only a list of burials.

To access the register images you need Search>Catalog, then enter the place only and click Search.

From the results, click on Church records. The resulting list includes the CofE BTs, but the Parish Registers are at the end of the list.

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The annoying thing is that I haven't yet found a way to effectively fast forward through hundreds of images. I scroll down and check the visible dark covers to see where I'm up to. Then, when you're close, you can do multiple clicks.

1768 marriages are at image 258/9 of 689.

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Jen, but it's nearly pumpkin time here in South Australia, and I have to go to bed.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at the transcripts, which at that time were patchy & incomplete. For 1768 there is only a list of burials.

To access the register images you need Search>Catalog, then enter the place only and click Search.

From the results, click on Church records. The resulting list includes the CofE BTs, but the Parish Registers are at the end of the list.

Yes, I've done that, but the item you mention is locked and I'm unable to view it.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »

I followed these instructions and got this list

Bapatisms 1812-1838
Baptisms 1838-1865
Baptisms, burials 1766-1799
Baptisms, burials 1799-1812
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1653-1717
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1717-1727
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1727-1749
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1745-1766
Burials 1813-1841
Marriages 1813-1837
Marriages, banns 1754-1827

the last line where the 1768 marriage may be has 93 pages not 689 as you mention elsewhere. But anyway they are not viewable online you have to meet one of these conditions

To view these images you must do one of the following:
Sign in to Familysearch.org as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Access the site at a family history center.
Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library.

All a bit of a puzzle
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.