Author Topic: Berry family from Penistone  (Read 2215 times)

Offline kellydando

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berry family in Penistone
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 18 05:19 BST (UK) »
 Hi from New Zealand.  My G/g/g/ grandfather was Charles Berry, from Penistone, married to Sarah Moorhouse, their son was Benjamin Berry married Margaret Quirk, their son was Edward Berry married Clara Herrick who came to NZ in 1907 with their ten children.  Benjamin's brother Edward funded the family's immigration to NZ.  Would really love to hear from anyone .

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Berry family from Penistone
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi "kellydando' and great to hear from you. I follow > Charles Berry and Sarah Moorhouse > Benjamin Berry and Margaret Quirk > Edward (Ted) Berry and Clara Herrick > Edward Roy (Roy) Berry and Josephine (Jo) Prime. Who do you follow? I have a copy of a diary of their trip out to Auckland, NZ from Liverpool and was written by Ted, and on the last page he wrote how much the fares cost for Ted, Clara and their nine children. Clara was pregnant with Eva at that time and she was born on 13 Oct 1907 about 45 days after they arrived in Auckland and another daughter Clara was born in Auckland in 1910. One of Clara's brothers, John Boultbee Herrick by then was living in Auckland with his wife Eva Newton and son Alfred and I was told they met Ted and Clara and children when the ship arrived at the port and went and lived with them until they found somewhere to live. When my father was nine his mother died and he went and lived with his grandparents Ted and Clara and his aunties and lived there until he joined the navy in 1939. Who do you follow?
  I have a wee bit of info on the Berry family when in England, census records for Charles and Sarah Berry plus their children and their children's children and other facts. I saw on a UK real estate website a few months back one of the farms that was for sale, Charles once managed and I saved some of the photos but will need to search my photos to see which farm it was.
 I don't have any info on who were Charles Berry's parents but I came across a will which I think may be "our" Charles and the executive of his will had the surname of Armitage and he was a inn keeper, and I have saved a couple of baptism records for Charles Berry but whether they are him I don't know but one of them was for Charles Armitage Berry, mother Ann Berry and no mention of the father. After seeing the will I'm wondering with the name Armitage if the baptism record for Charles Armitage Berry is him.
 Let me know if you want what I have on the Berry's in England and NZ but you probably may already have it.
  Cheers, Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline kellydando

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Berry family from Penistone
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy, My line is Edward and Clara >George >George> me. My g uncle Ben mentioned in a letter dated 1979 that a Will was in an old tin chest and a name on it was Armitage which fits in with your findings.I have info on the NZ family.
Look forward to hearing from you.