Author Topic: Caernarvon and Carnarvon  (Read 1531 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caernarvon and Carnarvon
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I think the following is correct:-
While looking for data on a topic in this forum,I noticed that the GRO index "master list" of districts contains the two variants of the title.Looking at the master listing Carnarvon applies up to 1937,Caernarvon from 1937 to 1974(local government reorganisation?),and slightly confusingly Caernarfon(Caernarvon) from 1974.
It would be easy looking for an early record to start typing "Cae..",accept the predictive text and not find records which are under the Carnarvon variant.

Regards
Roger

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caernarvon and Carnarvon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting Roger, thanks for pointing it out.

My G/Grandfather Thomas Louis Newman (1869 - 1917) says on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Censuses that he was Born in Caernavon, but I've never been able to find a Birth or Baptism for him. Might Caernavon come under Anglesea?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Caernarfon is the Welsh spelling.
English spelling is Carnarvon!

And Caernarfon was in Carnarvonshire, not in Anglesey.
It is now in Gwynedd.

The Registration District of Carnarvon contained, until 1937 some parishes from Anglesey.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

'Carnarvon and Caernarvon are older forms of the name of the town in North Wales currently known as Caernarfon. The older names, in place for centuries, were anglicised phonetic spellings; since the 1970s the Welsh spelling has been generally adopted. Most places and things named after Caernarfon use one of the older spellings'.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, it's interesting that you ask if Caernarvon should come under Anglesey as quite a lot of listings in certain years on FindMyPast have Bangor, Anglesey and it should be Caernarvonshire. I did point this out to them and they said that is how it had been transcribed when they bought the records so that's how they would stay and I was quite welcome to put an addition to the record.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »

Yes Ellenmai, - I think I must have got that idea about Anglesey from searching on Find my Past. (I knew I hadn't plucked it from thin air:-)

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
I realise my reply is a bit late in the day but please view
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/cae.html
For the split of parishes within the registration districts

Bangor civil regards districts were indeed spread over the mainland and Anglesey

M
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon